AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Mgr. Joaquín Piña, the first bishop of Puerto Iguazu has died
Puerto Iguazu (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop Emeritus of Puerto Iguazu, Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell SJ, died yesterday, July 8 after suffering a heart attack, surgery was performed in an attempt to save his life. The bishop had been transported from Posadas Hospital Austral in Buenos Aires.
Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell, S.J. was born in Sabadell, Spain on May 25, 1930. He entered the Society of Jesus, was ordained priest on 10 December 1961. He was sent to Paraguay and carried out an intensive social work in favor of farmers, stimulating the formation of the Agrarian Leagues who clashed with the regime led by Alfredo Stroessner because of land ownership. On 16 June 1986 he was appointed Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Puerto Iguazu, where the faithful remember him for his great commitment to social pastoral in favor of the poorest groups and the indigenous community guarnì.
The funeral will be held today, Tuesday, July 9 at 6 p.m., in the cathedral church of the Virgen del Carmen in Puerto Iguazu. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2015-03-11 - 400 years of evangelization in Posadas: "we share the joy of evangelizing"
- 2015-03-04 - "God did not create borders": for 65 years a Mass for brotherhood between Chile and Argentina
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo
- 2015-02-14 - Mgr. Buenanueva:"We need good quality citizens"
- 2015-02-12 - Mgr. Lozano denounces: deaths due to child malnutrition in the country
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"