AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Mgr. Joaquín Piña, the first bishop of Puerto Iguazu has died
Puerto Iguazu (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop Emeritus of Puerto Iguazu, Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell SJ, died yesterday, July 8 after suffering a heart attack, surgery was performed in an attempt to save his life. The bishop had been transported from Posadas Hospital Austral in Buenos Aires.
Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell, S.J. was born in Sabadell, Spain on May 25, 1930. He entered the Society of Jesus, was ordained priest on 10 December 1961. He was sent to Paraguay and carried out an intensive social work in favor of farmers, stimulating the formation of the Agrarian Leagues who clashed with the regime led by Alfredo Stroessner because of land ownership. On 16 June 1986 he was appointed Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Puerto Iguazu, where the faithful remember him for his great commitment to social pastoral in favor of the poorest groups and the indigenous community guarnì.
The funeral will be held today, Tuesday, July 9 at 6 p.m., in the cathedral church of the Virgen del Carmen in Puerto Iguazu. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality