AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Mgr. Joaquín Piña, the first bishop of Puerto Iguazu has died
Puerto Iguazu (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop Emeritus of Puerto Iguazu, Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell SJ, died yesterday, July 8 after suffering a heart attack, surgery was performed in an attempt to save his life. The bishop had been transported from Posadas Hospital Austral in Buenos Aires.
Mgr. Joaquín Piña Batllevell, S.J. was born in Sabadell, Spain on May 25, 1930. He entered the Society of Jesus, was ordained priest on 10 December 1961. He was sent to Paraguay and carried out an intensive social work in favor of farmers, stimulating the formation of the Agrarian Leagues who clashed with the regime led by Alfredo Stroessner because of land ownership. On 16 June 1986 he was appointed Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Puerto Iguazu, where the faithful remember him for his great commitment to social pastoral in favor of the poorest groups and the indigenous community guarnì.
The funeral will be held today, Tuesday, July 9 at 6 p.m., in the cathedral church of the Virgen del Carmen in Puerto Iguazu. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking