AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Positive dialogue between Church and government, the Bishops hope for an amnesty for political prisoners
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The opening of the hundredth Ordinary Assembly of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference was attended by the Minister of Interior and Justice, Miguel Rodriguez Torres, with whom the bishops addressed the problem of insecurity in which much of the country lives .
The Catholic Church reiterated its desire to make a significant contribution to the "Plan Patria segura " and the mission "A Toda Vida Venezuela."
The President of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference, Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez, Archbishop of Cumana, in a note sent to Fides, said that the meeting took place in a serene and friendly manner. "The meeting is part of the dialogue that we consider appropriate between the government and the Church. We addressed the issue of security, recovery of illegal weapons, prisoners and political exiles. We also proposed issues that affect us directly, such as the ability to facilitate the entry into the country of priests, religious and missionaries without too many problems", said Bishop Padrón". We believe there has been progress on the difficult issue of politician prisoners.
We hope that this problem will end as soon as possible, perhaps through an amnesty in order to send several people back home", added the president of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference.
During the press conference, the Bishops stressed that the protests of universities is one of the points that needs an urgent solution. Monsignor Baltazar Enrique Porras Cardozo, Archbishop of Merida, said "we have to listen" to the students’ demands because universities are in a situation of emergency. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found