AFRICA/EGYPT - Foreign groups threaten to enter Egypt in aid to the Muslim Brotherhood
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "We hope peace is restored soon, but we have no idea how the situation will evolve", says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, head of communications for the Catholic bishops of Egypt, who says that the clashes are approaching the area where he resides.
In the clashes outside the headquarters of the Republican Guard at least 42 people have died and 300 have been injured.
The climate of violence also caused the death of a Coptic priest on July 6, in El Arish, a city in the Sinai Peninsula, on the border with the Gaza Strip.
"The Coptic Orthodox Church attached to El Arish, whose pastor was killed, had already been attacked and burned three months ago", recalls Fr. Greiche. "Sinai is an area now without any control by the State due to the presence of various armed groups, jihadists and other types."
The latest news is that the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood has launched an appeal to the Egyptian people in revolt against the army, which deposed President Mohammed Morsi.
We call on Fr. Greiche if in his opinion Egypt is on the brink of a civil war. "Technically a civil war occurs between different armed groups" he responds. "Right now we have a clash between an organized majority and a minority, with the army and the police to separate the contenders". "It is not a civil war as in Syria" at least not yet, because Fr. Rafic adds that "Syrian and Palestinian groups have said they want to enter Egypt to sow chaos". Also from Libya the flow of weapons looted from the deposits of the deceased leader Gaddafi or those donated to the rebels from Arab Countries and NATO continue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
- 2014-05-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II writes to Pope Francis: let us unify the dates for the Easter celebration