AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Poverty rates are higher than those revealed by official statistics", said Mgr. Lozano
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - "The real poverty rates are higher than those published by INDEC (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos) (National Institute of Statistics and Censuses)," said Mgr. Jorge Eduardo Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and President of the Commission for Social Pastoral, in a statement sent to Fides. "Official figures are based on a much lower cost compared to the real cost spent to meet the needs of families with regards to food," stated Mgr. Lozano during the presentation of the document Mar del Plata.
The document gathers the relevant contributions of the "Social Week Mar del Plata 2013," dedicated to the priorities of the Bicentennial of the Nation: "Democracy, equity and integral development." In the meeting, which is the most important opportunity for social reflection of the Catholic Church in the country, what was highlighted was how education, work and security, are the most felt problems by the population.
The document Mar del Plata, also recalls the importance of the separation of powers, because "a true democracy is not only the result of a formal observance of the rules, but is the result of convinced acceptance of the values that inspire democratic procedures: the dignity of every human person, respect for human rights, the assumption of the common good as the purpose and criterion that guides political life", concluded Mgr. Lozano. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - New policies for young people are urgently needed, because "drugs have entered all levels of society"
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - There is no adequate treatment for HIV-positive children
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The campaign against drug abuse, a scourge for thousands of young people, restarts in Jujuy
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "From Blessed Brochero let us learn to become missionary disciples": meeting of the diocese of Patagonia
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - On-Call service for cases of abuse, mistreatment or child neglect
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Children subject of rights: an obligation for all States
- 2013-12-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Nearness does not leave us indifferent", Message from the Bishops of Patagonia
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "There is social fear, now we have to heal the wounds of the people": the Bishop of Concordia talks about the violence