AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Poverty rates are higher than those revealed by official statistics", said Mgr. Lozano
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - "The real poverty rates are higher than those published by INDEC (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos) (National Institute of Statistics and Censuses)," said Mgr. Jorge Eduardo Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and President of the Commission for Social Pastoral, in a statement sent to Fides. "Official figures are based on a much lower cost compared to the real cost spent to meet the needs of families with regards to food," stated Mgr. Lozano during the presentation of the document Mar del Plata.
The document gathers the relevant contributions of the "Social Week Mar del Plata 2013," dedicated to the priorities of the Bicentennial of the Nation: "Democracy, equity and integral development." In the meeting, which is the most important opportunity for social reflection of the Catholic Church in the country, what was highlighted was how education, work and security, are the most felt problems by the population.
The document Mar del Plata, also recalls the importance of the separation of powers, because "a true democracy is not only the result of a formal observance of the rules, but is the result of convinced acceptance of the values that inspire democratic procedures: the dignity of every human person, respect for human rights, the assumption of the common good as the purpose and criterion that guides political life", concluded Mgr. Lozano. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2015-09-24 - Over 40% of the poor in the capital is under 14 years of age
- 2015-09-23 - Argentinean missionary animators of "mission houses" in Cuba, a testimony
- 2015-09-15 - One death due to malnutrition every 10 hours, 2 out of 10 children do not have adequate food
- 2015-09-14 - The Bishops: malnutrition and poverty in the country, a "terrible reality"
- 2015-09-10 - "Cura Gaucho" on the path towards canonization, the people of Villa Cura Brochero celebrate
- 2015-09-02 - National Biblical campaign on the 50th anniversary of the "Dei Verbum"
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship