AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Poverty rates are higher than those revealed by official statistics", said Mgr. Lozano
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - "The real poverty rates are higher than those published by INDEC (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos) (National Institute of Statistics and Censuses)," said Mgr. Jorge Eduardo Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and President of the Commission for Social Pastoral, in a statement sent to Fides. "Official figures are based on a much lower cost compared to the real cost spent to meet the needs of families with regards to food," stated Mgr. Lozano during the presentation of the document Mar del Plata.
The document gathers the relevant contributions of the "Social Week Mar del Plata 2013," dedicated to the priorities of the Bicentennial of the Nation: "Democracy, equity and integral development." In the meeting, which is the most important opportunity for social reflection of the Catholic Church in the country, what was highlighted was how education, work and security, are the most felt problems by the population.
The document Mar del Plata, also recalls the importance of the separation of powers, because "a true democracy is not only the result of a formal observance of the rules, but is the result of convinced acceptance of the values that inspire democratic procedures: the dignity of every human person, respect for human rights, the assumption of the common good as the purpose and criterion that guides political life", concluded Mgr. Lozano. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"