AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Poverty rates are higher than those revealed by official statistics", said Mgr. Lozano
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - "The real poverty rates are higher than those published by INDEC (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos) (National Institute of Statistics and Censuses)," said Mgr. Jorge Eduardo Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and President of the Commission for Social Pastoral, in a statement sent to Fides. "Official figures are based on a much lower cost compared to the real cost spent to meet the needs of families with regards to food," stated Mgr. Lozano during the presentation of the document Mar del Plata.
The document gathers the relevant contributions of the "Social Week Mar del Plata 2013," dedicated to the priorities of the Bicentennial of the Nation: "Democracy, equity and integral development." In the meeting, which is the most important opportunity for social reflection of the Catholic Church in the country, what was highlighted was how education, work and security, are the most felt problems by the population.
The document Mar del Plata, also recalls the importance of the separation of powers, because "a true democracy is not only the result of a formal observance of the rules, but is the result of convinced acceptance of the values that inspire democratic procedures: the dignity of every human person, respect for human rights, the assumption of the common good as the purpose and criterion that guides political life", concluded Mgr. Lozano. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking