AFRICA/EGYPT - More than 80 percent of Egyptians are against the President
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "More than 80 percent of Egyptians reject the government and President Morsi. It is not true, as a part of the Western press stated, that Egypt is divided in half between supporters and opponents of the Head of State" says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, head of the communications for the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. "The majority of Egyptians, Muslims and Christians, rich and poor, girls dressed in a western manner or with the nijab, took to the streets to reject this government. Even those who voted for him" said the priest. "The Muslim Brotherhood are divided amongst themselves, in addition there is a conflict between the Brotherhood and Salafi groups, such as the al Nour Party, which supports the popular protest."
Yesterday, July 1, the armed forces gave a 48-hour ultimatum to the political forces to overcome the impasse that has paralyzed the country for weeks.
After the announcement of the military, according to the reports by Fr. Greiche, "the people’s mood is good, although there is concern about the fear of the recurrence of violence that in recent days caused a dozen deaths and nearly 600 wounded." "But this took place outside Cairo" says the priest who proves to be confident: "I think the army is strong and will not allow more violence."
According to Fr. Greiche the origin of the popular protests is "the disappointment of the population to the worsening of the economic, political and social situation. At an economic level, there is no petrol, food is scarce, there are constant interruptions in the distribution of electricity and water ... all things that did not happen before, at the time of Mubarak. There is no security in the cities, while the jihadists have a free hand in the Sinai Peninsula where they can do what they want. At a political level, finally, a Constitution that no one wants was approved."
"We will see what will happen in the coming hours. In the meantime, pray for Egypt", said the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/07/2013)
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile