AMERICA/CHILE - The phenomenon of child labor affects more than 200,000 children
Santiago, Chile (Agenzia Fides) - In 2012 over 200,000 children were exploited in work activities at risk in Chile. In some cases children carried out very dangerous jobs, especially considering their young age. According to a research conducted by the Government and the International Labour Organization (ILO), 229,000 children in the country carried out all sorts of economic activities, among these 219,000 were employed in activities prohibited for children. The majority, about 86,000, were involved in retail, another 40 thousand in the agricultural sector and about 19,000 in the construction industry. The research, called the Survey on the Activities of Boys, Girls and Adolescents (Eanna) revealed that 6.6% of children in Chile are involved in child labor. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 02/07/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"