AFRICA/KENYA - "Yes to the devolution of powers but not to that of the evils that afflict the central government," say the Bishops
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya express appreciation for the process of decentralization and devolution of powers from the central State to the 47 counties that make up the Country, under the new Constitution. At the same time, however, they warn "not to transfer evils like corruption, nepotism and poverty of leadership that have always plagued the central government."
According to reports by CISA Agency in Nairobi these statements were presented to expose the change of name of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, from Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC) to Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB). The change was necessary because in the Country, "there are several Protestant churches which have the name Episcopal Churches, and so when we talk about the Bishops' Conference it is easy to confuse it as one of these Evangelical Episcopal Churches."
On this occasion the Bishops wished to emphasize the desire to participate in the control of the new local powers in mutual collaboration. "We appeal to the creation of structures to increase the participation of the population that has always been the spirit that guided the devolution".
The Bishops also expressed concern regarding the increase of taxes on basic necessities, pointing out that the majority of Kenyans are poor, and ask for "food, housing and health care to be unconditionally accessible to all." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2013)
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed