AFRICA/KENYA - "Yes to the devolution of powers but not to that of the evils that afflict the central government," say the Bishops
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya express appreciation for the process of decentralization and devolution of powers from the central State to the 47 counties that make up the Country, under the new Constitution. At the same time, however, they warn "not to transfer evils like corruption, nepotism and poverty of leadership that have always plagued the central government."
According to reports by CISA Agency in Nairobi these statements were presented to expose the change of name of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, from Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC) to Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB). The change was necessary because in the Country, "there are several Protestant churches which have the name Episcopal Churches, and so when we talk about the Bishops' Conference it is easy to confuse it as one of these Evangelical Episcopal Churches."
On this occasion the Bishops wished to emphasize the desire to participate in the control of the new local powers in mutual collaboration. "We appeal to the creation of structures to increase the participation of the population that has always been the spirit that guided the devolution".
The Bishops also expressed concern regarding the increase of taxes on basic necessities, pointing out that the majority of Kenyans are poor, and ask for "food, housing and health care to be unconditionally accessible to all." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2013)
- 2015-10-12 - Jigger disease severely marks AIDS orphans
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"