AFRICA/KENYA - "Yes to the devolution of powers but not to that of the evils that afflict the central government," say the Bishops
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya express appreciation for the process of decentralization and devolution of powers from the central State to the 47 counties that make up the Country, under the new Constitution. At the same time, however, they warn "not to transfer evils like corruption, nepotism and poverty of leadership that have always plagued the central government."
According to reports by CISA Agency in Nairobi these statements were presented to expose the change of name of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, from Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC) to Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB). The change was necessary because in the Country, "there are several Protestant churches which have the name Episcopal Churches, and so when we talk about the Bishops' Conference it is easy to confuse it as one of these Evangelical Episcopal Churches."
On this occasion the Bishops wished to emphasize the desire to participate in the control of the new local powers in mutual collaboration. "We appeal to the creation of structures to increase the participation of the population that has always been the spirit that guided the devolution".
The Bishops also expressed concern regarding the increase of taxes on basic necessities, pointing out that the majority of Kenyans are poor, and ask for "food, housing and health care to be unconditionally accessible to all." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2013)
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed