AFRICA/KENYA - "Yes to the devolution of powers but not to that of the evils that afflict the central government," say the Bishops
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya express appreciation for the process of decentralization and devolution of powers from the central State to the 47 counties that make up the Country, under the new Constitution. At the same time, however, they warn "not to transfer evils like corruption, nepotism and poverty of leadership that have always plagued the central government."
According to reports by CISA Agency in Nairobi these statements were presented to expose the change of name of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, from Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC) to Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB). The change was necessary because in the Country, "there are several Protestant churches which have the name Episcopal Churches, and so when we talk about the Bishops' Conference it is easy to confuse it as one of these Evangelical Episcopal Churches."
On this occasion the Bishops wished to emphasize the desire to participate in the control of the new local powers in mutual collaboration. "We appeal to the creation of structures to increase the participation of the population that has always been the spirit that guided the devolution".
The Bishops also expressed concern regarding the increase of taxes on basic necessities, pointing out that the majority of Kenyans are poor, and ask for "food, housing and health care to be unconditionally accessible to all." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - "Ensure a safe country for us and future generations with respect for human rights", asks Cardinal Njue
- 2014-03-27 - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
- 2014-03-24 - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
- 2014-01-07 - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 - AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 - Controversy over the assault at Westgate