ASIA/SYRIA - The victims in the Old Town caused by two mortar shells
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - Sources of the Melkite Patriarchate in Damascus - whose headquarters is situated a few hundred meters from the Greek-Orthodox Patriarchate - refer to Fides Agency that the cause of the death of some people on Thursday, June 26 in the Old City was not suicide but the launch of two mortar shells. The area affected is a few meters from the Greek-Orthodox cathedral in Maryamiyya and also from the Shiite Al-Ishane charitable building. But the dynamics of the episode suggests that it was not a targeted attack.
It is not the first time that military attacks with howitzers and other heavy weaponry invest the narrow streets of the Old City of Damascus. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2013).
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees