ASIA/SYRIA - The victims in the Old Town caused by two mortar shells
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - Sources of the Melkite Patriarchate in Damascus - whose headquarters is situated a few hundred meters from the Greek-Orthodox Patriarchate - refer to Fides Agency that the cause of the death of some people on Thursday, June 26 in the Old City was not suicide but the launch of two mortar shells. The area affected is a few meters from the Greek-Orthodox cathedral in Maryamiyya and also from the Shiite Al-Ishane charitable building. But the dynamics of the episode suggests that it was not a targeted attack.
It is not the first time that military attacks with howitzers and other heavy weaponry invest the narrow streets of the Old City of Damascus. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2013).
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"