AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "A situation never seen before in Central Africa," says Mgr. Nzapalainga
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "A situation never seen before in our Country" said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, in an interview with the "Journal de Bangui" on the eve of his departure for Rome, where on June 29, he will receive the pallium from Pope Francis.
As reported by Fides (see Fides 25/06/2013) Bishops of Central Africa met recently to take stock of the dramatic situation in the Country. Mgr. Nzapalainga stresses that all Bishops have stated that in their individual dioceses, the situation is so dramatic that it can be summed up with the phrase "never seen before" due to the level of destruction caused by the rebels Seleka.
"Never seen before" regarding the destruction of civilian property and the administration of the State (in particular the archives. "What drives these people to annihilate the memory by burning administrative documents and other archives?" the Archbishop wonders). Such a fury against the Christians, Catholics and Protestants has "Never been seen before". The structures of the Church were heavily affected, at least a hundred vehicles of dioceses and missions were stolen, to the point that His Excellency Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou is forced to move on foot to carry out his pastoral service ( see Fides 05/06/2013).
"Never seen before " in terms of numbers of mercenaries in the ranks of the rebellion living off the exhausted Central African population.
Mgr. Nzapalainga will testify all of this to the Holy Father, together with the hope and the desire to restore peace in the Country.
"My hope - says the Archbishop of Bangui- is to see the unity of the Central African Republic. That all its children, all of its regions, all of its tribe, all its ethnic groups can feel they are Central Africans, because unity gives strength". "It is time to challenge our selfish interests and to seek what unites us," concluded Mgr. Nzapalainga. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Calm returns in Bouar, Caritas in aid of the displaced