AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "A situation never seen before in Central Africa," says Mgr. Nzapalainga
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "A situation never seen before in our Country" said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, in an interview with the "Journal de Bangui" on the eve of his departure for Rome, where on June 29, he will receive the pallium from Pope Francis.
As reported by Fides (see Fides 25/06/2013) Bishops of Central Africa met recently to take stock of the dramatic situation in the Country. Mgr. Nzapalainga stresses that all Bishops have stated that in their individual dioceses, the situation is so dramatic that it can be summed up with the phrase "never seen before" due to the level of destruction caused by the rebels Seleka.
"Never seen before" regarding the destruction of civilian property and the administration of the State (in particular the archives. "What drives these people to annihilate the memory by burning administrative documents and other archives?" the Archbishop wonders). Such a fury against the Christians, Catholics and Protestants has "Never been seen before". The structures of the Church were heavily affected, at least a hundred vehicles of dioceses and missions were stolen, to the point that His Excellency Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou is forced to move on foot to carry out his pastoral service ( see Fides 05/06/2013).
"Never seen before " in terms of numbers of mercenaries in the ranks of the rebellion living off the exhausted Central African population.
Mgr. Nzapalainga will testify all of this to the Holy Father, together with the hope and the desire to restore peace in the Country.
"My hope - says the Archbishop of Bangui- is to see the unity of the Central African Republic. That all its children, all of its regions, all of its tribe, all its ethnic groups can feel they are Central Africans, because unity gives strength". "It is time to challenge our selfish interests and to seek what unites us," concluded Mgr. Nzapalainga. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam