AMERICA/BOLIVIA – More violence in the TIPNIS, the Church at the side of the indigenous peoples
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides) - After the clashes which occured last weekend between the 2 groups that control the representation of the Isiboro Secure National Park and Indigenous Territory (TIPNIS), the Catholic Church and other sectors of society have renewed the appeal for dialogue to prevent further violent clashes.
The Confederation of Indigenous Peoples of Bolivia (CIDOB) is divided into two factions, one that defends the TIPNIS and calls for the Villa Tunari highway - San Ignacio de Moxos not to cross the center of the natural park, and the other faction led by Melva Hurtado, allied with the government, which is in favor of the construction of the road (see Fides 29/11/2012).
Apparently, the quarrel, which ended in a violent confrontation between the two groups was caused as a result of the intervention of the President of the Indigenous Council of Sur (CONISUR), seen from one of the two factions as an interference in the internal affairs of the indigenous peoples.
"CONISUR lives a different situation from TIPNIS. CONISUR is a settlement area which has been occupied for 30 years. The settlers came to occupy the lands and probably the indigenous were marginalized," said Mgr. Tito Solari, Archbishop of Cochabamba, who has asked the parties to dialogue."As a Church, we know the reality of the area and ask the population in general to respect the indigenous people living in the plains", concludes the Archbishop. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/06/2013)
AMERICA/BOLIVIA – MORE VIOLENCE IN THE TIPNIS, THE CHURCH AT THE SIDE OF THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis