AFRICA/CONGO DR - The instability of Katanga at the center of the Congolese political struggle
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The failed assault on Kasapa prison in Lubumbashi by an armed commando highlights once again the insecurity in the province of Katanga.
The assault was carried out in the night between 22 and 23 June by a group of Mai-Mai Kata-Katanga rebels, but the reaction of the security forces prevented the commandos to make the inmates of the prison escape. Among them is a captain of the Congolese armed forces accused of being the point of reference for arms trafficking in the region in favor of local armed groups.
The Mai-Mai Kata-Katanga wanted to replicate the assault on the same prison in November 2011, which had allowed the escape of their leader, Gedeon Kyungu Mukange, who has been a fugitive since then.
The latter was guilty of several crimes in North Katanga, spreading terror among the population to the point that many residents were forced to take refuge in the forest.
The new assault in the center of the capital of Katanga once again poses the problem of complicity that the group led by Mukange seems to enjoy among the security forces. Also in March a few hundred Mai-Mai Kata-Katanga, fully armed, had challenged the authorities occupying for about 4 hours the central areas of Lubumbashi before retiring (see Fides 25/03/2013)
According to the Congolese press, the rich province of Katanga is at the crossroads of the political struggle in view of the upcoming 2016 presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali