AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Church condemns the assault against the elderly who ask for a pension
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - "How can one keep silent with regards to an unjust act against the elderly who are an example for us and for our future," said Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, Mgr. Silvio Baez. The Bishop described the suspected supporters of President Daniel Ortega as a "vulgar and violent mob", that on June 22 attacked seniors and university students with baseball bats. The attackers, covered themselves with a hood and wore shirts of the FSLN (Sandinista Front), the government party, destroyed the camp and robbed the elderly’s food. For days, the elderly and their supporters were standing in the area to ask for a pension for those who have no other sources of income.
A note sent to Fides reported that Mgr. Silvio Baez Ortega recalled this situation during Mass on Sunday, June 23 in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Managua, where two thousand people sought refuge for fear of reprisals. At the end of the Mass, in the atrium of the Cathedral dozens of people arrived with food, water and medicine to support the struggle of the elderly.
The elders gathered in the Unidad Nacional del Adult Mayor (UNAM) association, have called for a retirement pension in spite of the contributions paid by them are lower than required by law. The president of the Nicaraguan Social Security Institute (INSS), Roberto Lopez, had declared that his institute does not have funds to pay a minimum pension to these people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2013)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police