AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Church condemns the assault against the elderly who ask for a pension
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - "How can one keep silent with regards to an unjust act against the elderly who are an example for us and for our future," said Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, Mgr. Silvio Baez. The Bishop described the suspected supporters of President Daniel Ortega as a "vulgar and violent mob", that on June 22 attacked seniors and university students with baseball bats. The attackers, covered themselves with a hood and wore shirts of the FSLN (Sandinista Front), the government party, destroyed the camp and robbed the elderly’s food. For days, the elderly and their supporters were standing in the area to ask for a pension for those who have no other sources of income.
A note sent to Fides reported that Mgr. Silvio Baez Ortega recalled this situation during Mass on Sunday, June 23 in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Managua, where two thousand people sought refuge for fear of reprisals. At the end of the Mass, in the atrium of the Cathedral dozens of people arrived with food, water and medicine to support the struggle of the elderly.
The elders gathered in the Unidad Nacional del Adult Mayor (UNAM) association, have called for a retirement pension in spite of the contributions paid by them are lower than required by law. The president of the Nicaraguan Social Security Institute (INSS), Roberto Lopez, had declared that his institute does not have funds to pay a minimum pension to these people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2013)
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops