AFRICA/KENYA - 15 victims and about twenty wounded in an attack by an armed group from Ethiopia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least 15 victims (including 6 women and 5 children) and about twenty wounded. This is the toll of an assault carried out on June 23 by an armed gang in Choroko, in the County of Mandera, on the border between Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
According to reports from the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi, a group of armed men with hand grenades attacked a camp of displaced people due to the fighting in the area between the Garre and Degodia communities. Several tents were burned. Local security sources say that a gang of fifty members from neighboring Ethiopia are responsible of the attack and it is suspected they receive support from some local politicians.
On June 21, new clashes between the two communities had caused 9 deaths and hundreds of displaced people. To resolve this dispute between Garre and Degodia, the Commission for national cohesion and integration has organized a series of meetings in Nairobi between the leaders of the two communities.
Also the frequent raids against the security forces on behalf of the Somali Shabaab, in retaliation for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia increase insecurity in Mandera. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage