AFRICA/KENYA - 15 victims and about twenty wounded in an attack by an armed group from Ethiopia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least 15 victims (including 6 women and 5 children) and about twenty wounded. This is the toll of an assault carried out on June 23 by an armed gang in Choroko, in the County of Mandera, on the border between Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
According to reports from the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi, a group of armed men with hand grenades attacked a camp of displaced people due to the fighting in the area between the Garre and Degodia communities. Several tents were burned. Local security sources say that a gang of fifty members from neighboring Ethiopia are responsible of the attack and it is suspected they receive support from some local politicians.
On June 21, new clashes between the two communities had caused 9 deaths and hundreds of displaced people. To resolve this dispute between Garre and Degodia, the Commission for national cohesion and integration has organized a series of meetings in Nairobi between the leaders of the two communities.
Also the frequent raids against the security forces on behalf of the Somali Shabaab, in retaliation for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia increase insecurity in Mandera. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2013)
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"