AFRICA/KENYA - 15 victims and about twenty wounded in an attack by an armed group from Ethiopia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least 15 victims (including 6 women and 5 children) and about twenty wounded. This is the toll of an assault carried out on June 23 by an armed gang in Choroko, in the County of Mandera, on the border between Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
According to reports from the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi, a group of armed men with hand grenades attacked a camp of displaced people due to the fighting in the area between the Garre and Degodia communities. Several tents were burned. Local security sources say that a gang of fifty members from neighboring Ethiopia are responsible of the attack and it is suspected they receive support from some local politicians.
On June 21, new clashes between the two communities had caused 9 deaths and hundreds of displaced people. To resolve this dispute between Garre and Degodia, the Commission for national cohesion and integration has organized a series of meetings in Nairobi between the leaders of the two communities.
Also the frequent raids against the security forces on behalf of the Somali Shabaab, in retaliation for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia increase insecurity in Mandera. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2013)
- 2014-01-07 AFRICA/KENYA - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/KENYA - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/KENYA – End of the siege at the mall in Nairobi. Cardinal Njue visits the wounded
- 2013-09-24 AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"