AFRICA/KENYA - 15 victims and about twenty wounded in an attack by an armed group from Ethiopia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least 15 victims (including 6 women and 5 children) and about twenty wounded. This is the toll of an assault carried out on June 23 by an armed gang in Choroko, in the County of Mandera, on the border between Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
According to reports from the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi, a group of armed men with hand grenades attacked a camp of displaced people due to the fighting in the area between the Garre and Degodia communities. Several tents were burned. Local security sources say that a gang of fifty members from neighboring Ethiopia are responsible of the attack and it is suspected they receive support from some local politicians.
On June 21, new clashes between the two communities had caused 9 deaths and hundreds of displaced people. To resolve this dispute between Garre and Degodia, the Commission for national cohesion and integration has organized a series of meetings in Nairobi between the leaders of the two communities.
Also the frequent raids against the security forces on behalf of the Somali Shabaab, in retaliation for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia increase insecurity in Mandera. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children