AFRICA/TOGO - "Social peace is threatened, we work for reconciliation": Bishops' appeal
Lome (Agenzia Fides) - "When social peace is threatened, no disciple of Christ can close himself in indifference or withdraw from the call of the Gospel to be a peacemaker. This is what the Bishops of Togo write in the message published at the end of their Ordinary Session. "Due to the increase of tension and discontent - the document states-every citizen has an obligation to act to avoid that the Country finds itself absorbed by the violence and destruction of our common heritage."
Tension in the country has increased since January when an arson attack destroyed the markets in Kara and Lomé, fortunately without causing casualties. "From these incidents, there have been many other unfortunate incidents and our Country has regressed considerably in the trust between citizens and institutions," says the message.
The protests of young people regarding the difficult economic conditions and the reaction of the police has caused accidents, casualties and material damage, and the negotiation between the government, opposition and civil society seems difficult. "All this raises fears of an explosion of violence if dialogue to reconcile the different parties and more generally all Togolese is not carried out," write the Bishops.
In view of the upcoming parliamentary elections, the Bishops ask everyone to work so that the vote is "free, transparent and fair."
"The present and future generations as well as history will judge us severely if we do not choose the path of wisdom" the message concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2013)
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Atakpamé mediator in the political dialogue
- 2013-12-04 - "Do not lose hope in spite of social unrest", write the Bishops
- 2013-07-10 - Agreement reached between the government and opposition with the mediation of the Bishop of Atakpamé
- 2013-06-25 - "Social peace is threatened, we work for reconciliation": Bishops' appeal
- 2013-04-18 - New reception home for the "portefaix" market in Hanoukope
- 2012-06-23 - The Bishops condemn violence and call for peaceful confrontation
- 2012-06-20 - Protect children with disabilities from cultural traditions that marginalize them
- 2011-06-21 - Four new wells to provide drinking water and irrigate the land during periods of drought
- 2010-07-19 - New paediatrics and neonatology departments in the poorest part of the country at Afagnan Hospital
- 2010-05-07 - The Order of St John of God Hospitaller Brothers in Afagnan, nominated “Ambassador of Health ”