AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The university conflict has to be resolved in a positive way " ask the Bishops
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Venezuela (CEV) has launched an appeal to the government and university field in order to create a space of "real and sincere dialogue" in order to find an immediate solution to the conflict of higher education centers.
"We believe it is important that in dialogue awareness of the historical moment that the country is experiencing, the recognition and acceptance of pluralism and independence of thought prevail, so that there is a clear commitment of the State, of the National Government and civil society for education" the bishops said.
The CEV intervened because of the acts of violence and vandalism which took place in recent days at the Central University of Venezuela. Violent groups welcomed the march of University students in Lara with gunshot fire, while a group of students started a hunger strike. The protest of the university students (who ask the government for a review of cuts to public education) is also supported by the professors. "This conflict has highlighted many things: the need for recognition of the university association on behalf of national authorities for a dialogue on equal terms and the need to listen to the world of the students in their demands for quality education," the Bishops conclude . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2013)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals