AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The university conflict has to be resolved in a positive way " ask the Bishops
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Venezuela (CEV) has launched an appeal to the government and university field in order to create a space of "real and sincere dialogue" in order to find an immediate solution to the conflict of higher education centers.
"We believe it is important that in dialogue awareness of the historical moment that the country is experiencing, the recognition and acceptance of pluralism and independence of thought prevail, so that there is a clear commitment of the State, of the National Government and civil society for education" the bishops said.
The CEV intervened because of the acts of violence and vandalism which took place in recent days at the Central University of Venezuela. Violent groups welcomed the march of University students in Lara with gunshot fire, while a group of students started a hunger strike. The protest of the university students (who ask the government for a review of cuts to public education) is also supported by the professors. "This conflict has highlighted many things: the need for recognition of the university association on behalf of national authorities for a dialogue on equal terms and the need to listen to the world of the students in their demands for quality education," the Bishops conclude . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2013)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene