AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The university conflict has to be resolved in a positive way " ask the Bishops
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Venezuela (CEV) has launched an appeal to the government and university field in order to create a space of "real and sincere dialogue" in order to find an immediate solution to the conflict of higher education centers.
"We believe it is important that in dialogue awareness of the historical moment that the country is experiencing, the recognition and acceptance of pluralism and independence of thought prevail, so that there is a clear commitment of the State, of the National Government and civil society for education" the bishops said.
The CEV intervened because of the acts of violence and vandalism which took place in recent days at the Central University of Venezuela. Violent groups welcomed the march of University students in Lara with gunshot fire, while a group of students started a hunger strike. The protest of the university students (who ask the government for a review of cuts to public education) is also supported by the professors. "This conflict has highlighted many things: the need for recognition of the university association on behalf of national authorities for a dialogue on equal terms and the need to listen to the world of the students in their demands for quality education," the Bishops conclude . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2013)
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks