ASIA/CAMBODIA - The Jesuits launch a new educational project and a new school
Phnom Penh (Agenzia Fides) - The Jesuits launch a new educational project in Cambodia: a secondary school with four classes per year, and a small elementary school will be built in Battambang. The project also includes a training center for teachers and a residence where to host teachers undergoing training. "This educational project is very dear to the Jesuits who work with the young Khmer," says to Fides Fr. Ashley Evans SJ, an Irish missionary, who arrived in Cambodia in 1993 and director of "Education Mission Leadership Team."
Local partners of the project are the Apostolic Prefecture of Battambang and the provincial school authorities. We are also seeking international partners, which may include other provinces of the Jesuit Conference of Asia-Pacific, or other religious orders, male and female. Fr. Ashley, director of the new educational project, reports that for the first 12 years of teaching activity funds will be necessary to buy the land, build buildings, provide scholarships, after which the schools should support themselves.
The Jesuits have been engaged in Cambodia for over 20 years in the field of education and professional training. The Society of Jesus financially supports primary school students and teachers in remote areas and was also in charge of teacher training at the Reale University of Phnom Penh. The Jesuits also manage a center for disabled children in Phnom Penh and a center for disadvantaged children in Battambang. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2013)
- 2015-06-18 - The Apostolic Vicar of Phnom Penh: "Martyrs teach us to love till the end"
- 2015-06-16 - The diocesan process of beatification of Cambodian martyrs begins
- 2014-10-11 - The Church of Phnom Penh launches the Year of Charity
- 2014-06-27 - The Society of Jesus welcomes the second cambodian Jesuit
- 2014-04-04 - JRS Cambodia celebrates World Interfaith Harmony Week
- 2014-03-31 - Half of the children live in extreme poverty
- 2013-10-29 - Aid from humanitarian organizations to people affected by monsoons and floods
- 2013-10-04 - Southeast Asia hit by typhoons, torrential rains, floods
- 2013-06-25 - The Jesuits launch a new educational project and a new school
- 2013-02-26 - Religions united to commemorate the genocide of the Khmer Rouge