AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"