AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues