AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI