AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate