AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil