AMERICA/BRAZIL - An awakening of national consciousness, yes to peaceful demonstrations, the voice of the church
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Brazil, in a note published yesterday, expressed themselves with these words: "We declared our solidarity and support regarding demonstrations, when peaceful, that led to the streets people of all ages, especially young people. It is a phenomenon that involves the Brazilian people and awakens a new consciousness. It requires attention and understanding to identify their values and boundaries, always with the goal of building a fair and fraternal society which is what we want".
For the bishops these demonstrations are born spontaneously, especially among young people and supported by the network. It is a reaction in the face of unresolved problems, such as "corruption, impunity and lack of transparency."
The prelates’ message confirms the position of the church: No to violence! No to demonstrations and violent protests and no to violence against protesters and against young people.
The invitation of the Episcopal Conference is aimed at all because "the solution of the problems of the Brazilian people is only possible with the participation of all."
"Everyone must respect order, the common good, the goods of all and peace, but the cry of the people must be heard!" the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang