AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For more than 50 years the Church has been helping displaced people, who are now more than 5 million
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombiana re-launches the Holy Father’s invitation "not to be indifferent to the plight of refugees" and "encourages all to reach out to those who were forced to leave their land, giving them a light of hope."
The invitation is expressed on the occasion of World Refugee Day, which is celebrated today, June 20. The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombia presented the story of the people who were forced to abandon their homes and the work of the Program for Refugees being carried out for more than 50 years by the Colombian Church together with the UNHCR.
In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the National Secretariat of the Social Pastoral Caritas, based on the data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons (see Fides 07/05/2013). The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 centers and 5,500 dioceses and parishes in the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors