AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For more than 50 years the Church has been helping displaced people, who are now more than 5 million
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombiana re-launches the Holy Father’s invitation "not to be indifferent to the plight of refugees" and "encourages all to reach out to those who were forced to leave their land, giving them a light of hope."
The invitation is expressed on the occasion of World Refugee Day, which is celebrated today, June 20. The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombia presented the story of the people who were forced to abandon their homes and the work of the Program for Refugees being carried out for more than 50 years by the Colombian Church together with the UNHCR.
In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the National Secretariat of the Social Pastoral Caritas, based on the data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons (see Fides 07/05/2013). The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 centers and 5,500 dioceses and parishes in the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement