AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For more than 50 years the Church has been helping displaced people, who are now more than 5 million
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombiana re-launches the Holy Father’s invitation "not to be indifferent to the plight of refugees" and "encourages all to reach out to those who were forced to leave their land, giving them a light of hope."
The invitation is expressed on the occasion of World Refugee Day, which is celebrated today, June 20. The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombia presented the story of the people who were forced to abandon their homes and the work of the Program for Refugees being carried out for more than 50 years by the Colombian Church together with the UNHCR.
In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the National Secretariat of the Social Pastoral Caritas, based on the data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons (see Fides 07/05/2013). The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 centers and 5,500 dioceses and parishes in the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"