AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For more than 50 years the Church has been helping displaced people, who are now more than 5 million
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombiana re-launches the Holy Father’s invitation "not to be indifferent to the plight of refugees" and "encourages all to reach out to those who were forced to leave their land, giving them a light of hope."
The invitation is expressed on the occasion of World Refugee Day, which is celebrated today, June 20. The Social Pastoral Caritas Colombia presented the story of the people who were forced to abandon their homes and the work of the Program for Refugees being carried out for more than 50 years by the Colombian Church together with the UNHCR.
In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the National Secretariat of the Social Pastoral Caritas, based on the data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons (see Fides 07/05/2013). The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 centers and 5,500 dioceses and parishes in the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013)
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours