AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - A day of prayer for national reconciliation on the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan was announced by His Exc Mgr. Paride Taban, Bishop Emeritus of Torit and President of National Healing, Peace And Reconciliation Committee.
Mgr. Taban explained to Catholic broadcasting Easter Radio that through prayer, help will be asked to alleviate the suffering and guide the country's population
The Islamic community will pray on July 5, the Christians on July 6 and a national day of prayer will be held on July 8.
The Bishop pointed out that since independence (July 9, 2011), South Sudan has experienced dramatic moments because of internal divisions that have resulted in violence, with the loss of human lives. Prayer is therefore needed in order to ask God for forgiveness for the community sins. Mgr.Taban has invited everyone to acknowledge the sins committed and to ask for forgiveness with 3 days of fasting before the celebrations of independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun
- 2014-09-03 - “Let us work together for peace”: Christian leaders urge traditional chiefs
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts