AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - A day of prayer for national reconciliation on the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan was announced by His Exc Mgr. Paride Taban, Bishop Emeritus of Torit and President of National Healing, Peace And Reconciliation Committee.
Mgr. Taban explained to Catholic broadcasting Easter Radio that through prayer, help will be asked to alleviate the suffering and guide the country's population
The Islamic community will pray on July 5, the Christians on July 6 and a national day of prayer will be held on July 8.
The Bishop pointed out that since independence (July 9, 2011), South Sudan has experienced dramatic moments because of internal divisions that have resulted in violence, with the loss of human lives. Prayer is therefore needed in order to ask God for forgiveness for the community sins. Mgr.Taban has invited everyone to acknowledge the sins committed and to ask for forgiveness with 3 days of fasting before the celebrations of independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan