AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - A day of prayer for national reconciliation on the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan was announced by His Exc Mgr. Paride Taban, Bishop Emeritus of Torit and President of National Healing, Peace And Reconciliation Committee.
Mgr. Taban explained to Catholic broadcasting Easter Radio that through prayer, help will be asked to alleviate the suffering and guide the country's population
The Islamic community will pray on July 5, the Christians on July 6 and a national day of prayer will be held on July 8.
The Bishop pointed out that since independence (July 9, 2011), South Sudan has experienced dramatic moments because of internal divisions that have resulted in violence, with the loss of human lives. Prayer is therefore needed in order to ask God for forgiveness for the community sins. Mgr.Taban has invited everyone to acknowledge the sins committed and to ask for forgiveness with 3 days of fasting before the celebrations of independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders