AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - A day of prayer for national reconciliation on the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan was announced by His Exc Mgr. Paride Taban, Bishop Emeritus of Torit and President of National Healing, Peace And Reconciliation Committee.
Mgr. Taban explained to Catholic broadcasting Easter Radio that through prayer, help will be asked to alleviate the suffering and guide the country's population
The Islamic community will pray on July 5, the Christians on July 6 and a national day of prayer will be held on July 8.
The Bishop pointed out that since independence (July 9, 2011), South Sudan has experienced dramatic moments because of internal divisions that have resulted in violence, with the loss of human lives. Prayer is therefore needed in order to ask God for forgiveness for the community sins. Mgr.Taban has invited everyone to acknowledge the sins committed and to ask for forgiveness with 3 days of fasting before the celebrations of independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War