AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - A day of prayer for national reconciliation on the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan was announced by His Exc Mgr. Paride Taban, Bishop Emeritus of Torit and President of National Healing, Peace And Reconciliation Committee.
Mgr. Taban explained to Catholic broadcasting Easter Radio that through prayer, help will be asked to alleviate the suffering and guide the country's population
The Islamic community will pray on July 5, the Christians on July 6 and a national day of prayer will be held on July 8.
The Bishop pointed out that since independence (July 9, 2011), South Sudan has experienced dramatic moments because of internal divisions that have resulted in violence, with the loss of human lives. Prayer is therefore needed in order to ask God for forgiveness for the community sins. Mgr.Taban has invited everyone to acknowledge the sins committed and to ask for forgiveness with 3 days of fasting before the celebrations of independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children