AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The government has not yet responded to the peace initiative of the gangs," said Mgr. Emiliani
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "There has not been so far a clear and obvious response from the government to support the peace process, we are still in time to save Honduras from violence," said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Bishop of San Pedro Sula, who yesterday met journalists in a press conference to criticize the lack of response of the government of Honduras to the peace initiative launched in May.
The gang leaders of the "M-13" and "M-18", known as "maras," promised, on May 28th in the prison of San Pedro Sula, to reduce violence in the country, apologizing to God, to society and the authorities for the crimes committed (see Fides 29/05/2013).
According to UN statistics, Honduras is considered to be the most violent Country in the world. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2013)
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country