AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The government has not yet responded to the peace initiative of the gangs," said Mgr. Emiliani
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "There has not been so far a clear and obvious response from the government to support the peace process, we are still in time to save Honduras from violence," said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Bishop of San Pedro Sula, who yesterday met journalists in a press conference to criticize the lack of response of the government of Honduras to the peace initiative launched in May.
The gang leaders of the "M-13" and "M-18", known as "maras," promised, on May 28th in the prison of San Pedro Sula, to reduce violence in the country, apologizing to God, to society and the authorities for the crimes committed (see Fides 29/05/2013).
According to UN statistics, Honduras is considered to be the most violent Country in the world. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 AMERICA/HONDURAS - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/HONDURAS - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Domestic violence, poverty, organized crime for the children of one of the most violent countries in the world