AMERICA/PERU - Cardinal Sarah’s visit to Caritas del Callao: "We must put human dignity at the center"
Callao (Agenzia Fides) - On June 13, Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" visited the Diocese of Callao, in Peru, who was invited by the local Bishop, Msg. José Luis del Palacio. The Cardinal attended a meeting of all Caritas parishes of the diocese. Cardinal Robert Sarah said that the Church supports itself on three pillars: prayer, evangelical witness and charity.
With regards to the work of Caritas in the Church, the Cardinal said: "The Bishop has primary responsibility for the charity and the members of the Church should be with him. We must promote a culture of charity in the parishes, a culture "of God with us", both at an individual and communal level, organizing the pastoral structures of the Church, starting from the Caritas parishes.
We have to put human dignity at the center, promote the global development, reaffirm the profound values that the Gospel preaches and not what is imposed from outside."
The Cardinal also noted that pastoral charity must be integrated with liturgy and catechesis, avoiding the risk for the Christian community to be engaged only in the social field. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"