AMERICA/PERU - Cardinal Sarah’s visit to Caritas del Callao: "We must put human dignity at the center"
Callao (Agenzia Fides) - On June 13, Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" visited the Diocese of Callao, in Peru, who was invited by the local Bishop, Msg. José Luis del Palacio. The Cardinal attended a meeting of all Caritas parishes of the diocese. Cardinal Robert Sarah said that the Church supports itself on three pillars: prayer, evangelical witness and charity.
With regards to the work of Caritas in the Church, the Cardinal said: "The Bishop has primary responsibility for the charity and the members of the Church should be with him. We must promote a culture of charity in the parishes, a culture "of God with us", both at an individual and communal level, organizing the pastoral structures of the Church, starting from the Caritas parishes.
We have to put human dignity at the center, promote the global development, reaffirm the profound values that the Gospel preaches and not what is imposed from outside."
The Cardinal also noted that pastoral charity must be integrated with liturgy and catechesis, avoiding the risk for the Christian community to be engaged only in the social field. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"