AMERICA/PERU - Cardinal Sarah’s visit to Caritas del Callao: "We must put human dignity at the center"
Callao (Agenzia Fides) - On June 13, Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" visited the Diocese of Callao, in Peru, who was invited by the local Bishop, Msg. José Luis del Palacio. The Cardinal attended a meeting of all Caritas parishes of the diocese. Cardinal Robert Sarah said that the Church supports itself on three pillars: prayer, evangelical witness and charity.
With regards to the work of Caritas in the Church, the Cardinal said: "The Bishop has primary responsibility for the charity and the members of the Church should be with him. We must promote a culture of charity in the parishes, a culture "of God with us", both at an individual and communal level, organizing the pastoral structures of the Church, starting from the Caritas parishes.
We have to put human dignity at the center, promote the global development, reaffirm the profound values that the Gospel preaches and not what is imposed from outside."
The Cardinal also noted that pastoral charity must be integrated with liturgy and catechesis, avoiding the risk for the Christian community to be engaged only in the social field. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation