AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
San Cristobal de las Casas - (Agenzia Fides) - "We are facing ethical decline." This is how the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel described the lynching of three people burnt alive". What makes the situation even more serious is the video of the lynching that was put on sale in local shops.
"These are very sad facts that concern us much, because burning people alive, filmimg the scene and then selling the images is simply ethical decline," said the Bishop.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel, asked the community to reflect on how to teach children respect for people in order to avoid transmitting to future generations the subculture of violence that is rampant in the Altos region. "The occasion of Father's Day (celebrated yesterday in all the parishes of the diocese) is a good opportunity to think about the role of the family in the education of children," the Bishop said to the local press.
The lynching took place on June 4 in Las Ollas Community, situated in the town of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas, one of the Mexican States whose population is largely indigenous. This year, at least five indigenous people in Chiapas were lynched, accused of various crimes. The justice system in Mexico is going through a serious crisis, with high levels of impunity. Recently in different regions of Mexico armed civilian groups have been created that take the law in their own hands against organized crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration