AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
San Cristobal de las Casas - (Agenzia Fides) - "We are facing ethical decline." This is how the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel described the lynching of three people burnt alive". What makes the situation even more serious is the video of the lynching that was put on sale in local shops.
"These are very sad facts that concern us much, because burning people alive, filmimg the scene and then selling the images is simply ethical decline," said the Bishop.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel, asked the community to reflect on how to teach children respect for people in order to avoid transmitting to future generations the subculture of violence that is rampant in the Altos region. "The occasion of Father's Day (celebrated yesterday in all the parishes of the diocese) is a good opportunity to think about the role of the family in the education of children," the Bishop said to the local press.
The lynching took place on June 4 in Las Ollas Community, situated in the town of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas, one of the Mexican States whose population is largely indigenous. This year, at least five indigenous people in Chiapas were lynched, accused of various crimes. The justice system in Mexico is going through a serious crisis, with high levels of impunity. Recently in different regions of Mexico armed civilian groups have been created that take the law in their own hands against organized crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement