AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
San Cristobal de las Casas - (Agenzia Fides) - "We are facing ethical decline." This is how the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel described the lynching of three people burnt alive". What makes the situation even more serious is the video of the lynching that was put on sale in local shops.
"These are very sad facts that concern us much, because burning people alive, filmimg the scene and then selling the images is simply ethical decline," said the Bishop.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel, asked the community to reflect on how to teach children respect for people in order to avoid transmitting to future generations the subculture of violence that is rampant in the Altos region. "The occasion of Father's Day (celebrated yesterday in all the parishes of the diocese) is a good opportunity to think about the role of the family in the education of children," the Bishop said to the local press.
The lynching took place on June 4 in Las Ollas Community, situated in the town of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas, one of the Mexican States whose population is largely indigenous. This year, at least five indigenous people in Chiapas were lynched, accused of various crimes. The justice system in Mexico is going through a serious crisis, with high levels of impunity. Recently in different regions of Mexico armed civilian groups have been created that take the law in their own hands against organized crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"