AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
San Cristobal de las Casas - (Agenzia Fides) - "We are facing ethical decline." This is how the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel described the lynching of three people burnt alive". What makes the situation even more serious is the video of the lynching that was put on sale in local shops.
"These are very sad facts that concern us much, because burning people alive, filmimg the scene and then selling the images is simply ethical decline," said the Bishop.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel, asked the community to reflect on how to teach children respect for people in order to avoid transmitting to future generations the subculture of violence that is rampant in the Altos region. "The occasion of Father's Day (celebrated yesterday in all the parishes of the diocese) is a good opportunity to think about the role of the family in the education of children," the Bishop said to the local press.
The lynching took place on June 4 in Las Ollas Community, situated in the town of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas, one of the Mexican States whose population is largely indigenous. This year, at least five indigenous people in Chiapas were lynched, accused of various crimes. The justice system in Mexico is going through a serious crisis, with high levels of impunity. Recently in different regions of Mexico armed civilian groups have been created that take the law in their own hands against organized crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning