AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
San Cristobal de las Casas - (Agenzia Fides) - "We are facing ethical decline." This is how the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel described the lynching of three people burnt alive". What makes the situation even more serious is the video of the lynching that was put on sale in local shops.
"These are very sad facts that concern us much, because burning people alive, filmimg the scene and then selling the images is simply ethical decline," said the Bishop.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel, asked the community to reflect on how to teach children respect for people in order to avoid transmitting to future generations the subculture of violence that is rampant in the Altos region. "The occasion of Father's Day (celebrated yesterday in all the parishes of the diocese) is a good opportunity to think about the role of the family in the education of children," the Bishop said to the local press.
The lynching took place on June 4 in Las Ollas Community, situated in the town of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas, one of the Mexican States whose population is largely indigenous. This year, at least five indigenous people in Chiapas were lynched, accused of various crimes. The justice system in Mexico is going through a serious crisis, with high levels of impunity. Recently in different regions of Mexico armed civilian groups have been created that take the law in their own hands against organized crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2013)
- 2013-12-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
- 2013-12-09 AMERICA/MEXICO - Evening Mass restarts, the communities want to prepare themselves for upcoming feasts
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
- 2013-12-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - "They left alive, we want them back alive": solidarity for the Caravan of Central American mothers
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination