AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Let us intervene immediately to prevent the Central African Republic to become the Somalia of Central Africa"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Summary executions, sexual violence, targeted attacks on the basis of religious or ethnic belonging, arrests of opposition supporters and their families, torture, disappearances, recruitment of child soldiers, looting. These are the crimes committed in the Central African Republic reported in an appeal signed by a number of civil society groups, including Secours Catholique/Caritas France.
Since the coalition Seleka ousted former President François Bozizé, "the population, the main victim of the political-military game has been suffering for months," the statement said. "Some United Nations agencies, NGOs and Churches are trying to cope with the suffering of the population that has nothing: medical care, food.... schools are closed all over the Country. Bangassou in the east of the Country, receives supplies only through humanitarian flights: there is no water, no fuel, therefore no electricity. "
The instability in which the country has sunk is so deep that one wonders if "Central Africa will become the Somalia of central Africa. This institutional "no man's land" could attract terrorists from Nigeria and Mali, or the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), which easily would find refuge in this Country with 4.5 million inhabitants spread over 650,000 km2. "
The signatories of the appeal ask "France and the European and African countries to reconsider their position. It is urgent to bring humanitarian aid to a population in danger and at the same time promote the restoration of the democratic process. It is also necessary that the new Central African authorities take measures to restore security and restore the functioning of the administration and basic social services." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam