AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Let us intervene immediately to prevent the Central African Republic to become the Somalia of Central Africa"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Summary executions, sexual violence, targeted attacks on the basis of religious or ethnic belonging, arrests of opposition supporters and their families, torture, disappearances, recruitment of child soldiers, looting. These are the crimes committed in the Central African Republic reported in an appeal signed by a number of civil society groups, including Secours Catholique/Caritas France.
Since the coalition Seleka ousted former President François Bozizé, "the population, the main victim of the political-military game has been suffering for months," the statement said. "Some United Nations agencies, NGOs and Churches are trying to cope with the suffering of the population that has nothing: medical care, food.... schools are closed all over the Country. Bangassou in the east of the Country, receives supplies only through humanitarian flights: there is no water, no fuel, therefore no electricity. "
The instability in which the country has sunk is so deep that one wonders if "Central Africa will become the Somalia of central Africa. This institutional "no man's land" could attract terrorists from Nigeria and Mali, or the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), which easily would find refuge in this Country with 4.5 million inhabitants spread over 650,000 km2. "
The signatories of the appeal ask "France and the European and African countries to reconsider their position. It is urgent to bring humanitarian aid to a population in danger and at the same time promote the restoration of the democratic process. It is also necessary that the new Central African authorities take measures to restore security and restore the functioning of the administration and basic social services." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bangui is slowly normalizing, but there are still thousands of refugees in parishes"
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary