AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Let us intervene immediately to prevent the Central African Republic to become the Somalia of Central Africa"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Summary executions, sexual violence, targeted attacks on the basis of religious or ethnic belonging, arrests of opposition supporters and their families, torture, disappearances, recruitment of child soldiers, looting. These are the crimes committed in the Central African Republic reported in an appeal signed by a number of civil society groups, including Secours Catholique/Caritas France.
Since the coalition Seleka ousted former President François Bozizé, "the population, the main victim of the political-military game has been suffering for months," the statement said. "Some United Nations agencies, NGOs and Churches are trying to cope with the suffering of the population that has nothing: medical care, food.... schools are closed all over the Country. Bangassou in the east of the Country, receives supplies only through humanitarian flights: there is no water, no fuel, therefore no electricity. "
The instability in which the country has sunk is so deep that one wonders if "Central Africa will become the Somalia of central Africa. This institutional "no man's land" could attract terrorists from Nigeria and Mali, or the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), which easily would find refuge in this Country with 4.5 million inhabitants spread over 650,000 km2. "
The signatories of the appeal ask "France and the European and African countries to reconsider their position. It is urgent to bring humanitarian aid to a population in danger and at the same time promote the restoration of the democratic process. It is also necessary that the new Central African authorities take measures to restore security and restore the functioning of the administration and basic social services." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence