AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Health cannot become a business" Church's appeal for health care reform
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Colombian Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez has made an urgent appeal to the Government authority and Congress so that the health care reform, currently under discussion is carried out in a dignified, complete and transparent manner in order to bring real change for the benefit of the community.
"Health is considered an economic issue, the only criterion taken into consideration is gain. The fact that it is a right of the person who should be cared for and protected by the State has been completely lost," said Cardinal Salazar in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The statement reports that private economic interests and corruption have become a 'cancer' in the health care system. The Cardinal hopes that the health care system reform carries out "a profound ethical change in particular towards the poor".
In Colombia, health care service is largely in the hands of privates. What is at stake is a mixed system, public - private, that takes into account the economic possibilities of every citizen. In the meantime, the poor pay the price of the severe limitations of the current system. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Plenary Assembly of Bishops on the importance of pastoral action
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Appeal after the murder of two people in a Church: "They want to kill hope"