AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Health cannot become a business" Church's appeal for health care reform
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Colombian Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez has made an urgent appeal to the Government authority and Congress so that the health care reform, currently under discussion is carried out in a dignified, complete and transparent manner in order to bring real change for the benefit of the community.
"Health is considered an economic issue, the only criterion taken into consideration is gain. The fact that it is a right of the person who should be cared for and protected by the State has been completely lost," said Cardinal Salazar in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The statement reports that private economic interests and corruption have become a 'cancer' in the health care system. The Cardinal hopes that the health care system reform carries out "a profound ethical change in particular towards the poor".
In Colombia, health care service is largely in the hands of privates. What is at stake is a mixed system, public - private, that takes into account the economic possibilities of every citizen. In the meantime, the poor pay the price of the severe limitations of the current system. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2015-07-30 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar