AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Health cannot become a business" Church's appeal for health care reform
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Colombian Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez has made an urgent appeal to the Government authority and Congress so that the health care reform, currently under discussion is carried out in a dignified, complete and transparent manner in order to bring real change for the benefit of the community.
"Health is considered an economic issue, the only criterion taken into consideration is gain. The fact that it is a right of the person who should be cared for and protected by the State has been completely lost," said Cardinal Salazar in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The statement reports that private economic interests and corruption have become a 'cancer' in the health care system. The Cardinal hopes that the health care system reform carries out "a profound ethical change in particular towards the poor".
In Colombia, health care service is largely in the hands of privates. What is at stake is a mixed system, public - private, that takes into account the economic possibilities of every citizen. In the meantime, the poor pay the price of the severe limitations of the current system. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery