AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Health cannot become a business" Church's appeal for health care reform
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Colombian Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez has made an urgent appeal to the Government authority and Congress so that the health care reform, currently under discussion is carried out in a dignified, complete and transparent manner in order to bring real change for the benefit of the community.
"Health is considered an economic issue, the only criterion taken into consideration is gain. The fact that it is a right of the person who should be cared for and protected by the State has been completely lost," said Cardinal Salazar in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The statement reports that private economic interests and corruption have become a 'cancer' in the health care system. The Cardinal hopes that the health care system reform carries out "a profound ethical change in particular towards the poor".
In Colombia, health care service is largely in the hands of privates. What is at stake is a mixed system, public - private, that takes into account the economic possibilities of every citizen. In the meantime, the poor pay the price of the severe limitations of the current system. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect