AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The poor cannot wait," meeting of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The poor cannot wait. The right to adequate and balanced diet is essential. This campaign has its foundation in the need that we all unite with one force to combat the scourge of hunger in the world", said Msg. Jose Luis Azuaje, Bishop of El Vigia-San Carlos del Zulia (Venezuela) and President of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean, in presenting the global campaign against hunger and poverty launched by Caritas Internationalis. Mgr. Azuaje spoke at the press conference of the presentation of the meeting of the Regional Conference of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean, ongoing these days in Caracas.
The meeting takes place from June 8 to 16 and is attended by 20 countries of Latin America and the Caribbean. As reported to Fides by the Secretariat of Caritas Guatemala, the meeting aims to "improve and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of procedures, examine the progress made in the service of charity and strengthen communion and collaboration agreements among our organizations." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2013)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students