AMERICA/CHILE - Second National Ecclesial Assembly: Recognize the signs of the times beside the poor
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - "To conduct a national experience of ecclesial communion through the discernment of the signs of the times, in order to be a Church in a state of permanent mission to proclaim the Kingdom and deliver content to the pastoral guidelines". This is the objective of the Second Ecclesial Assembly which takes place as from today until June 15 in Santiago de Chile, under the theme "A Church that listens, proclaims and serves."
The inauguration will be carried out by Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, President of the Episcopal Conference of Chile (CECh). In addition to the great importance for its content and participants, this is the first ecclesial event broadcast via streaming from the portal of the Episcopal Conference, in order to follow the plenary sessions each day.
Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati said in a statement sent to Fides, that there will be over 600 participants and that the Church will try to identify the best ways to serve society, in its preferential option for the poor. With regards to this, the President of CECh pointed out that the main purpose of the meeting is "how to sharpen our vision, so as to be able to realize the suffering and injustice in which many people live in our country." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital