AFRICA/CONGO DR - Don Apollinaire Malumalu elected President of the Independent National Electoral Commission
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - On June 7th Don Apollinaire Malumalu was elected President of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), by the National Assembly, the legislative chamber of the Congolese Democratic Republic Parliament.
Don Malumalu was President of the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI), which organized and monitored the 2006 presidential elections. The name of the Catholic priest had been indicated by the Subcommittee "religious confessions" on behalf of civil society.
Some Congolese newspapers point out that don Malumalu is considered an expert in organizing elections not only for having organized the 2006 elections but also for his several election observer missions in different parts of the world.
In a note of May 13, the Episcopal Commission of the DRC (CENCO) reaffirmed the prohibition to priests, religious men and women to "participate actively in political parties and associations at a political level, as well as state institutions, at all levels, responsible for organizing the elections " The press release also stated that CENCO "did not present a clergyman to become a member of INEC."
"It goes without saying that if a clergyman is engaged in INEC will go clearly against the canonical norms of the Catholic Church (see canon 287, 672 and 739) and against the common position of the Bishops of CENCO " the statement concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/06/2013)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue