AFRICA/SUDAN - Sudanese air force raid on the Nuba Mountains on the second anniversary of the war
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - Two MIG fighters of the aviation of Khartoum dropped four bombs on the village of Kauda, in the Nuba Mountains.
This was reported by the Sudan Catholic Radio Network, according to which the raid, fortunately no deaths have been reported so far, was carrried out on June 6 near the airport runway of the town.
The radio stresses that the attack was carried out exactly after two years and one day since the war began in the Sudanese state of South Kordofan. The SPLA-N (Sudan People's Liberation Army-North) started the conflict on June 5, 2011, as a result of the disputed State election results which proclaimed Governor Ahmed Haroun.
According to the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the Sudanese aircraft targeted a possible celebration of the SPLA-N on the occasion of the anniversary of the rebellion.
The two-year war devastated the people of the Nuba Mountains, where insecurity, hunger and deaths forced at least 70,000 people to seek refuge in Yida, in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/06/2013)
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches