AFRICA/SUDAN - Sudanese air force raid on the Nuba Mountains on the second anniversary of the war
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - Two MIG fighters of the aviation of Khartoum dropped four bombs on the village of Kauda, in the Nuba Mountains.
This was reported by the Sudan Catholic Radio Network, according to which the raid, fortunately no deaths have been reported so far, was carrried out on June 6 near the airport runway of the town.
The radio stresses that the attack was carried out exactly after two years and one day since the war began in the Sudanese state of South Kordofan. The SPLA-N (Sudan People's Liberation Army-North) started the conflict on June 5, 2011, as a result of the disputed State election results which proclaimed Governor Ahmed Haroun.
According to the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the Sudanese aircraft targeted a possible celebration of the SPLA-N on the occasion of the anniversary of the rebellion.
The two-year war devastated the people of the Nuba Mountains, where insecurity, hunger and deaths forced at least 70,000 people to seek refuge in Yida, in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/06/2013)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church