AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Extrajudicial executions as well as other serious human rights violations were committed in and around the town of Pinga in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a statement by MONUSCO (UN Observer Mission in the DRC), which accuses the Mai-Mai Sheka militia and those of the Alliance of Patriots for a Free and Sovereign Congo (APLCS) of having committed violations of international humanitarian rights during their fights. There are also several children among the victims of the violence.
The statement recalled that, since August 2010 Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, the leader of the Mai-Mai group, along with his men, was hit by an arrest warrant issued by the Congolese judicial authorities for crimes against humanity, looting and kidnapping.
The fighters of Sheka are implicated in the mass rapes and other human rights violations committed on the axis Kibua-Mpofi, in the Walikale territory, between 30 July and 2 August 2010.
There is currently in North Kivu the deployment of the UN brigade of rapid intervention responsible for providing support to MONUSCO to disarm the various armed groups in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/06/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue