AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Extrajudicial executions as well as other serious human rights violations were committed in and around the town of Pinga in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a statement by MONUSCO (UN Observer Mission in the DRC), which accuses the Mai-Mai Sheka militia and those of the Alliance of Patriots for a Free and Sovereign Congo (APLCS) of having committed violations of international humanitarian rights during their fights. There are also several children among the victims of the violence.
The statement recalled that, since August 2010 Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, the leader of the Mai-Mai group, along with his men, was hit by an arrest warrant issued by the Congolese judicial authorities for crimes against humanity, looting and kidnapping.
The fighters of Sheka are implicated in the mass rapes and other human rights violations committed on the axis Kibua-Mpofi, in the Walikale territory, between 30 July and 2 August 2010.
There is currently in North Kivu the deployment of the UN brigade of rapid intervention responsible for providing support to MONUSCO to disarm the various armed groups in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/06/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23