AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Extrajudicial executions as well as other serious human rights violations were committed in and around the town of Pinga in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a statement by MONUSCO (UN Observer Mission in the DRC), which accuses the Mai-Mai Sheka militia and those of the Alliance of Patriots for a Free and Sovereign Congo (APLCS) of having committed violations of international humanitarian rights during their fights. There are also several children among the victims of the violence.
The statement recalled that, since August 2010 Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, the leader of the Mai-Mai group, along with his men, was hit by an arrest warrant issued by the Congolese judicial authorities for crimes against humanity, looting and kidnapping.
The fighters of Sheka are implicated in the mass rapes and other human rights violations committed on the axis Kibua-Mpofi, in the Walikale territory, between 30 July and 2 August 2010.
There is currently in North Kivu the deployment of the UN brigade of rapid intervention responsible for providing support to MONUSCO to disarm the various armed groups in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/06/2013)
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries