AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Extrajudicial executions as well as other serious human rights violations were committed in and around the town of Pinga in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a statement by MONUSCO (UN Observer Mission in the DRC), which accuses the Mai-Mai Sheka militia and those of the Alliance of Patriots for a Free and Sovereign Congo (APLCS) of having committed violations of international humanitarian rights during their fights. There are also several children among the victims of the violence.
The statement recalled that, since August 2010 Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, the leader of the Mai-Mai group, along with his men, was hit by an arrest warrant issued by the Congolese judicial authorities for crimes against humanity, looting and kidnapping.
The fighters of Sheka are implicated in the mass rapes and other human rights violations committed on the axis Kibua-Mpofi, in the Walikale territory, between 30 July and 2 August 2010.
There is currently in North Kivu the deployment of the UN brigade of rapid intervention responsible for providing support to MONUSCO to disarm the various armed groups in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/06/2013)
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"