AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "We talk a lot about poverty, but we spend little time with the poor," Caritas outraged by the President’s words
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "There is much talk of poverty, but we spend little time with the poor," says Mgr. Oscar Ojea Quintana, Bishop of San Isidro and President of Caritas Argentina, responding to journalists with regards to the statement of Argentine President during his recent visit in Haiti, who declares that there is "real poverty" in the Caribbean country, and not in Argentina. These statements generated discomfort in the Catholic Church in Argentina.
"The situation in Haiti is terrible, it is painful, extreme, but we must admit that we have a lot of poverty in Argentina," said the Bishop during a press conference for the presentation of the Caritas campaign which takes place this weekend across the Country, entitled "Main goal: Zero Poverty".
Msg. Ojea also called "not to forget" that Argentina "is one of the Countries with greater social inequality in Latin America." He added: "Inflation affects the poorer strata of the population, because the salary is meager and not enough."
According to the latest study by the Social Catholic University of Argentina, nearly 5 million children are poor and 800,000 are very poor, that is to say they do not have the means to meet their basic needs. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/06/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"