AMERICA/HONDURAS - There is a truce between the gangs that have only made a general declaration of repentance
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "The gangs have made a declaration of repentance towards God and towards society, but not among themselves. I cannot understand how and why there is so much hate among them." This was stated by Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula, who during a press conference wanted to underline the fact that the situation in prisons has not changed much after the statements on behalf of the leaders of criminal gangs (see Fides 29/05/2013), who continue to commit violence in the streets of cities across the country.
The note sent to Fides says: "There is no truce among the gangs. I met 66 young people with whom I spoke at length trying to convince them to leave the gangs. Now all of them have been murdered. There is not a manual on how to advise them. If they manage to leave the gang they will most likely be killed. In fact, many of these have disappeared. So I wonder if I do well to advise them to leave the gang." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2013)
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons