AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "I appeal to the government of the Republic of South Africa as a matter of urgency to intervene and contain this unnecessary and unfortunate violence against Somali business communities to preserve peace and stability." This is the appeal launched by the Prime Minister of Somalia, Abdi Farah Shirdon to South African President Jacob Zuma.
The Somali Prime Minister took the drastic step of writing an open letter to President Jacob Zuma after a recent spate of attacks reminiscent of the 2008 attacks in South Africa on foreign African nationals (see Fides 26 and 29/5/2008).
His move was welcomed by refugees and migrants’ organizations, after tensions flared in an apparent outbreak of xenophobic violence directed at Somalis in Diepsloot, west of Johannesburg, and Port Elizabeth.
Diepsloot residents had rioted against the Somali community after a Somali businessman allegedly shot dead two Zimbabwean. Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon’s appeal follows the Mozambican high commissioner’s plea to local authorities over the death of taxi driver Mido Macia in Daveyton, after he was dragged by a police vehicle in an accident shown on television around the world. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2013)
- 2015-02-18 - Bishops: “No to human trafficking, abominable business and one of the most profitable”
- 2015-02-16 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Chaos in Parliament; after 20 years of democracy the nation deserves better the Catholic Bishops say
- 2015-01-29 - The Bishops: "We pay tribute to the consecrated who founded the local Church"
- 2014-11-28 - Bishops reaffirm that the ordination of women to the priesthood is not recognised in the Catholic Church
- 2014-09-30 - Prayers in South Africa for the recognition of the martyrdom of Benedict Daswa
- 2014-09-02 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – New National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies appointed
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters