AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "I appeal to the government of the Republic of South Africa as a matter of urgency to intervene and contain this unnecessary and unfortunate violence against Somali business communities to preserve peace and stability." This is the appeal launched by the Prime Minister of Somalia, Abdi Farah Shirdon to South African President Jacob Zuma.
The Somali Prime Minister took the drastic step of writing an open letter to President Jacob Zuma after a recent spate of attacks reminiscent of the 2008 attacks in South Africa on foreign African nationals (see Fides 26 and 29/5/2008).
His move was welcomed by refugees and migrants’ organizations, after tensions flared in an apparent outbreak of xenophobic violence directed at Somalis in Diepsloot, west of Johannesburg, and Port Elizabeth.
Diepsloot residents had rioted against the Somali community after a Somali businessman allegedly shot dead two Zimbabwean. Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon’s appeal follows the Mozambican high commissioner’s plea to local authorities over the death of taxi driver Mido Macia in Daveyton, after he was dragged by a police vehicle in an accident shown on television around the world. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2013)
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer