ASIA/JORDAN - King Abdullah II and Cardinal Sandri at the solemn inauguration of the American University of Madaba
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The official opening of the American University of Madaba, AUM, affiliated to the University of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, May 30. King Abdullah II of Jordan, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal and Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches will take part in the inauguration.
"The presence of the King, the Patriarch and the Cardinal" explains to Fides Agency Fr. Rifat Bader, director of the Center of Catholic Studies and formation for media "authoritatively confirms that the path of the new university institution should be viewed in the context of the great and enduring mission carried out by the Latin Patriarchate in Jordan in the field of education. 160 years ago the early phases of the first school of the Latin Patriarchate beyond the Jordan started, in what appeared as a closed and marginal world. Today, that same mission has lead to the creation of a University with high standards and international academic connections, at the service of the people of Jordan, Christians and Muslims together."
The American University of Madaba opened its stutture in October 2011. There are about 800 students, but at full capacity, the University can accommodate 8 thousand. The Latin Patriarchate contributed significantly to the building of the university. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/05/2013).
- 2014-12-16 - More than 7,000 Christian refugees from Iraq; Caritas Jordan: "in two months we will not have anymore resources to assist them"
- 2014-12-03 - Caritas Jordan in Salt launches ”Winter Campaign”
- 2014-11-24 - Conference on Christians and "Arab Springs". Father Bader: a historical phase which was followed only by negative effects
- 2014-10-30 - King Abdullah II to Armenian President: Christians helped to build the Arab civilization
- 2014-10-29 - An Armenian baptismal church consecrated on the banks of the Jordan
- 2014-10-28 - A new Caritas center in Karak
- 2014-10-20 - Archbishop Laham: 4 thousand displaced Iraqi Christians all want to emigrate to the West
- 2014-09-25 - King Abdallah II to the UN: Christians are a "constitutive" part of the Middle East
- 2014-09-17 - King Abdullah II: we will do our best to increase the presence of Arab Christians
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)