AMERICA - "A Continental Mission in solidarity with those who suffer", CELAM follows Pope Francis
City (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church in Latin America, willing and committed to bringing the fruits of life among our peoples, welcomes the evangelical orientation of Pope Francis’ programmatic proposal for the whole Church." This is how the bishops’ message of the 22 Episcopal Conferences of Latin America and the Caribbean begins, gathered in the XXXIV Ordinary Assembly of CELAM in Panama City from 14 to 17 May 2013.
"We realized and reflected on the serious problems of our peoples, among which we highlight: the deterioration of democratic institutions, an economic model that favors the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few, legislative decisions in conflict with moral values, the different expressions of violence that threaten human dignity and peaceful coexistence.
Faced with the urgency of these challenges, we want to renew our commitment to continue with the Continental Mission, in solidarity with those who suffer the most, as Jesus taught and Pope Francis reminds us, " reads the text sent to Fides.
America lives the Continental Mission as a great challenge and this is why the document concludes in this way: "In today's world, in order to evangelize effectively, we must give priority to gestures." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2013)
- 2015-11-16 - Latin American Bishops protagonists of the "Pact of the Catacombs"
- 2015-05-16 - Message of the XXXV General Assembly of CELAM: "Living a missionary conversion as a church which goes forth"
- 2015-05-07 - 88 environmentalists killed in Latin America in 2014
- 2015-04-16 - Bishops Emeritus continue to give their contribution
- 2015-04-16 - Almost 4 million children in Latin America do not have access to primary school
- 2015-03-17 - Human rights and extractive industries in Latin America: the position of the Church
- 2015-03-06 - Pan-Amazon Ecclesial Network: For Mgr. Barreto the life of 30 million people is at stake
- 2015-01-15 - New web portal of CELAM, to reach the "suburbs" of the continent
- 2015-01-02 - Drastic increase of children who try to escape from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador
- 2014-12-11 - The new land of the "landless", a living and current history