AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), issued a statement on May 20 in which it denounced the "illegal and authoritarian" manner with which the missionaries and staff of CIMI were treated by the Federal Police in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in the municipality of Sidrolândia, during the clearing operations of the Buriti farm, occupied by indigenous people since 15 May.
The statement recalls similar events in which the police expelled journalists or members of CIMI, as in the case of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte.
"In Brazil, more and more often, the police assumes the role of political interlocutor in land conflicts and violations of the rights of indigenous peoples. What is happening is the militarization of conflicts linked to the struggle for indigenous rights. Institutionalization of this practice is a brutal attack against a journalist, against the freedom of social organizations and, even more, against the established democratic relations and law in our society.We denounce this act of unjustified, arbitrary and illegal censorship," said the statement sent to Fides. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang