AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), issued a statement on May 20 in which it denounced the "illegal and authoritarian" manner with which the missionaries and staff of CIMI were treated by the Federal Police in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in the municipality of Sidrolândia, during the clearing operations of the Buriti farm, occupied by indigenous people since 15 May.
The statement recalls similar events in which the police expelled journalists or members of CIMI, as in the case of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte.
"In Brazil, more and more often, the police assumes the role of political interlocutor in land conflicts and violations of the rights of indigenous peoples. What is happening is the militarization of conflicts linked to the struggle for indigenous rights. Institutionalization of this practice is a brutal attack against a journalist, against the freedom of social organizations and, even more, against the established democratic relations and law in our society.We denounce this act of unjustified, arbitrary and illegal censorship," said the statement sent to Fides. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues