AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), issued a statement on May 20 in which it denounced the "illegal and authoritarian" manner with which the missionaries and staff of CIMI were treated by the Federal Police in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in the municipality of Sidrolândia, during the clearing operations of the Buriti farm, occupied by indigenous people since 15 May.
The statement recalls similar events in which the police expelled journalists or members of CIMI, as in the case of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte.
"In Brazil, more and more often, the police assumes the role of political interlocutor in land conflicts and violations of the rights of indigenous peoples. What is happening is the militarization of conflicts linked to the struggle for indigenous rights. Institutionalization of this practice is a brutal attack against a journalist, against the freedom of social organizations and, even more, against the established democratic relations and law in our society.We denounce this act of unjustified, arbitrary and illegal censorship," said the statement sent to Fides. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate