AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), issued a statement on May 20 in which it denounced the "illegal and authoritarian" manner with which the missionaries and staff of CIMI were treated by the Federal Police in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in the municipality of Sidrolândia, during the clearing operations of the Buriti farm, occupied by indigenous people since 15 May.
The statement recalls similar events in which the police expelled journalists or members of CIMI, as in the case of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte.
"In Brazil, more and more often, the police assumes the role of political interlocutor in land conflicts and violations of the rights of indigenous peoples. What is happening is the militarization of conflicts linked to the struggle for indigenous rights. Institutionalization of this practice is a brutal attack against a journalist, against the freedom of social organizations and, even more, against the established democratic relations and law in our society.We denounce this act of unjustified, arbitrary and illegal censorship," said the statement sent to Fides. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil