AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), issued a statement on May 20 in which it denounced the "illegal and authoritarian" manner with which the missionaries and staff of CIMI were treated by the Federal Police in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in the municipality of Sidrolândia, during the clearing operations of the Buriti farm, occupied by indigenous people since 15 May.
The statement recalls similar events in which the police expelled journalists or members of CIMI, as in the case of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte.
"In Brazil, more and more often, the police assumes the role of political interlocutor in land conflicts and violations of the rights of indigenous peoples. What is happening is the militarization of conflicts linked to the struggle for indigenous rights. Institutionalization of this practice is a brutal attack against a journalist, against the freedom of social organizations and, even more, against the established democratic relations and law in our society.We denounce this act of unjustified, arbitrary and illegal censorship," said the statement sent to Fides. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"