AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Veracruz (Mexico), Mgr. Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo has recognized the work carried out by the authorities of the homonymous State with regards to safety and reported that there has been a radical change in two years of administration. The Bishop, however, noted that more effort is needed to eliminate "minor" crimes, when compared to the murders, assaults, robberies, kidnappings and extortion.
In this regard, he noted that even the Catholic Church was the victim of a kidnapping for ransom when, five months ago, two young seminarians were kidnapped. The director of the seminary in Veracruz received a ransom demand in order to release the two seminarians.
In the note sent to Fides, the Bishop, without offering further details on the case, explained that he informed the governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa in a meeting held last week. "We have also suffered a kidnapping which fortunately did not end badly. The two seminarians were released thanks to the military intervention of the Navy."
The governor has pledged to listen to the demands of the Catholic Church. Mgr. Gallardo Martin has stressed the need for social programs that promote a culture of legality, non-violence and family harmony. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill