AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Veracruz (Mexico), Mgr. Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo has recognized the work carried out by the authorities of the homonymous State with regards to safety and reported that there has been a radical change in two years of administration. The Bishop, however, noted that more effort is needed to eliminate "minor" crimes, when compared to the murders, assaults, robberies, kidnappings and extortion.
In this regard, he noted that even the Catholic Church was the victim of a kidnapping for ransom when, five months ago, two young seminarians were kidnapped. The director of the seminary in Veracruz received a ransom demand in order to release the two seminarians.
In the note sent to Fides, the Bishop, without offering further details on the case, explained that he informed the governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa in a meeting held last week. "We have also suffered a kidnapping which fortunately did not end badly. The two seminarians were released thanks to the military intervention of the Navy."
The governor has pledged to listen to the demands of the Catholic Church. Mgr. Gallardo Martin has stressed the need for social programs that promote a culture of legality, non-violence and family harmony. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want peace!": The Bishop of Apatzingan leads a march with thousands of faithful
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - A net divides the two countries, many families and even the altar for the Mass for Migrants
- 2013-10-31 AMERICA/MEXICO - No to Halloween, "we must enhance our traditions", says the Bishop of Aguascalientes
- 2013-10-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To intervene effectively to stop the violence in Michoacán": the Bishops’ request