AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - Half of the African children are "invisible" because they do not appear in any population register. This is what emerged in a statement released on the occasion of the XXI Meeting of the African Union (AU) which has just begun in Addis Ababa. According to UNICEF, only 44% of children under 5 years of age in Africa are registered. Without any legal identity, the young do not have any social services, education, protection against child labor, military recruitment, human trafficking and other forms of exploitation. In this context, the AU summit, which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Organization of African Unity (OAU), is a great opportunity for a long-term commitment to the children of the continent.
For UNICEF, this commitment must include above all the opportunity to give each child a name and legal assistance. In Sub-Saharan Africa about one child out of 3 works, that is to say 69 million children. In total, about 158 million children between 5 and 14 years of age work in the world. The NGO of the United Nations also declares that child population of the continent before 2015 will reach 130 million. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system
- 2014-05-27 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – More support and availability for 15 million children, adults and elders with disabilities
- 2014-05-22 - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians
- 2014-05-19 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Missionary children evangelize their peers with the first Bible in Oromo language