AMERICA/CHILE - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Msg. Vial in his greetings to the community
Temuco (Agenzia Fides) - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial Risopatrón in a statement sent to Fides, who a week ago became Bishop Emeritus of Temuco (Chile), who for eleven years as the head of the diocese community was committed with the Mapuche, but there is still much to be done in the field of human rights.
This is how Mgr. Vial wanted to greet the community during the celebration of his 78 years of life in the cathedral of the capital of Araucania. Mgr. Vial said that people do not have care and concern for the good of Chile, adding that there is a passion for Chile when it plays in the national football team. Mgr. Vial celebrated 78 years of life, 33 as a Bishop and 11 at the service of the Diocese of Temuco.
Seven days ago, Msg. Héctor Eduardo Vargas Bastidas, S.D.B. (who was bishop of Arica since 2003) was appointed Bishop of Temuco. Mgr. Vial told the press that he has established his new residence in the metropolitan area of Temuco, and will continue to work with the Mapuche community. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project