AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of street children in Mexico is particularly severe and complicated to solve. In fact, despite local institutions try to propose help both to young children and their families, it is often the parents who force children to continue to beg on the streets of the cities. According to estimates of the System for the Integral Development of the Family of the State of Mexico (DIFEM), in the country there are about 18,000 of these young victims, and the figure could rise due to social and family reasons. In a statement sent to Fides, by the head of DIFEM we read that the phenomenon is growing even when there are government programs that offer the opportunity for children to attend school and parents are offered work that allows them to have some economic income. However, despite these efforts the young continue to be exploited, they are sent to work in the streets, with the risk of suffering physical, psychological and sexual violence. According to experts there is the need to promote family integration and create additional sources of work to prevent minors from begging or doing any other kind of job. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"