AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of street children in Mexico is particularly severe and complicated to solve. In fact, despite local institutions try to propose help both to young children and their families, it is often the parents who force children to continue to beg on the streets of the cities. According to estimates of the System for the Integral Development of the Family of the State of Mexico (DIFEM), in the country there are about 18,000 of these young victims, and the figure could rise due to social and family reasons. In a statement sent to Fides, by the head of DIFEM we read that the phenomenon is growing even when there are government programs that offer the opportunity for children to attend school and parents are offered work that allows them to have some economic income. However, despite these efforts the young continue to be exploited, they are sent to work in the streets, with the risk of suffering physical, psychological and sexual violence. According to experts there is the need to promote family integration and create additional sources of work to prevent minors from begging or doing any other kind of job. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement