ASIA/INDIA - Congress of catechists from Orissa, agents of evangelization in the Year of Faith
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - To maintain and strengthen the role of lay catechists as agents of evangelization: with this goal the Bishops of the state of Orissa have organized, on the occasion of the Year of Faith, a congress of catechists. As reported to Fides by the Regional Conference of the Bishops of Orissa, the Congress, organized by the Commission for Catechesis, will be held from 12 to 14 October 2013 in Cuttack and "will be a significant event to appreciate the vital role that our catechists play in transmitting faith and in the formation of consciences, " explains to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. John Barwa SVD, Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar.
The participation of about 400 catechists from all five dioceses of Orissa (Cuttack-Bhubaneswar, Balasore, Sambalpur, Rourkela and Berhampur) is expected, for an event that is the first of its kind. On the one hand the local Church wishes to recognize and thank all lay catechists committed on the territory, in order to "motivate them and insist on their formation." On the other hand, the intent is "to promote unity among the lay catechists, who come from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds," notes the Archbishop.
The Congress will dedicate sessions to the techniques, tools, challenges, new trends and methods of evangelization, and other sessions to sharing the faith and experience. Fr. Francis Kannampuzha, Secretary of the Regional Catechetical Commission, told Fides that during the Congress some lay catechists will also be awarded, for their special work of contribution to evangelization.
In preparation for the Congress, each diocese will hold a meeting of all the catechists involved to analyze the situation, problems, needs to be presented during the Congress. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"
- 2015-03-12 - The Delhi Police has launched a Facebook page to protect the safety of Christians
- 2015-03-11 - Forced mass sterilizations continue
- 2015-03-10 - Christians in march ask Hindu radicals to owe Mother Teresa an apology
- 2015-03-09 - The Franciscans: consecrated life at the service of the poor
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law