ASIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Young pilgrims from Papua ask to pray with the Pope in Rome
Madang (Agenzia Fides) - Fifteen Christian students of the Divine Word University in Madang will make a pilgrimage to Rome from June 14 to 21, for the Year of Faith and have asked to pray with Pope Francis, participating in the morning Mass, in the chapel of "Casa di Santa Marta" in Rome. "During the preparatory meetings - the chaplain Fr. Giorgio Licini PIME explains to Fides - the students said: we come from very far away and it is likely we will not return to Rome. Can we pray with Pope Francis?" Fr. George explained to the young people that it will not be easy to fulfill this desire, but the students, full of enthusiasm, "hope to be able to fullfill, one day, the dream of being close to the Pope and the heart of the Church."
"The purpose of the trip - says Fr. George to Fides - is spiritual in the context of the Year of Faith, but it is also educational, since Rome is the cradle of history, art, civilization".
Students (12 Catholic, one Lutheran, one Pentecostal who is a young University employee) are enrolled in the Faculties of Arts, Medicine, Social Sciences. They will visit the Vatican City, Rome, Assisi, and Neptune, to pray at the tomb of St. Maria Goretti, patroness of youth in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The prayer request with the Pope was sent to the Holy See through the channels of the Apostolic Nunciature. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2014-03-01 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"