ASIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Young pilgrims from Papua ask to pray with the Pope in Rome
Madang (Agenzia Fides) - Fifteen Christian students of the Divine Word University in Madang will make a pilgrimage to Rome from June 14 to 21, for the Year of Faith and have asked to pray with Pope Francis, participating in the morning Mass, in the chapel of "Casa di Santa Marta" in Rome. "During the preparatory meetings - the chaplain Fr. Giorgio Licini PIME explains to Fides - the students said: we come from very far away and it is likely we will not return to Rome. Can we pray with Pope Francis?" Fr. George explained to the young people that it will not be easy to fulfill this desire, but the students, full of enthusiasm, "hope to be able to fullfill, one day, the dream of being close to the Pope and the heart of the Church."
"The purpose of the trip - says Fr. George to Fides - is spiritual in the context of the Year of Faith, but it is also educational, since Rome is the cradle of history, art, civilization".
Students (12 Catholic, one Lutheran, one Pentecostal who is a young University employee) are enrolled in the Faculties of Arts, Medicine, Social Sciences. They will visit the Vatican City, Rome, Assisi, and Neptune, to pray at the tomb of St. Maria Goretti, patroness of youth in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The prayer request with the Pope was sent to the Holy See through the channels of the Apostolic Nunciature. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
- 2013-11-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The family at the center of the Church's pastoral plan for the next five years
- 2013-11-06 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific questions itself about the new evangelization
- 2013-11-05 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
- 2013-08-27 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Church calls for authentic alliance with the State, especially with regards to social policy
- 2013-07-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
- 2013-07-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church deplores the agreement between Australia and Papua New Guinea on refugees
- 2013-07-16 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Prohibit non-Christian faiths? For the Church, it would be absurd
- 2013-07-09 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Teenage pregnancies: the Church is alone in the prevention