AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
Maranhão (Agenzia Fides) - The lack of actions and programs to provide good health care to indigenous people and farmers on behalf of the Brazilian government continues to produce victims. On 11 May, the indigenous Ajrua Awa-Guajá, a 40-year-old mother of five children, who lived in the Awa village, in the indigenous Land Caru, in northwest Maranhão (Brazil), died of Calazar (visceral leishmaniasis). Cases like this could easily be avoided if there were more seriousness and professionalism in the health care field.
The complaint sent to Fides by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), of the region of Maranhão, released a statement in which it said it was "saddened by this new death, and reaffirms its commitment to the right of the people to a specific and differentiated service, which includes, among other things, a multidisciplinary team to directly assist the population." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
AMERICA/BRAZIL – STILL VICTIMS BECAUSE OF THE MISMANAGEMENT OF HEALTH CARE OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins