AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
Maranhão (Agenzia Fides) - The lack of actions and programs to provide good health care to indigenous people and farmers on behalf of the Brazilian government continues to produce victims. On 11 May, the indigenous Ajrua Awa-Guajá, a 40-year-old mother of five children, who lived in the Awa village, in the indigenous Land Caru, in northwest Maranhão (Brazil), died of Calazar (visceral leishmaniasis). Cases like this could easily be avoided if there were more seriousness and professionalism in the health care field.
The complaint sent to Fides by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), of the region of Maranhão, released a statement in which it said it was "saddened by this new death, and reaffirms its commitment to the right of the people to a specific and differentiated service, which includes, among other things, a multidisciplinary team to directly assist the population." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/BRAZIL - III World Conference on Child Labour
- 2013-10-05 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The invitation of the PMS: The mission must rely on the dynamism and generosity of the youth
- 2013-09-27 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
- 2013-09-27 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The "Igreja Catholic apostolic brasileira" is a schismatic community
- 2013-09-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The PMS of the Southern Cone prepare CAM4 - COMLA9
- 2013-09-21 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Violence, murders and suicides, the indigenous people hope in the aid of the Church