AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "Do not use the church for political interests." This is what Mgr.Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, S.D.B. Bishop of Veracruz said, warning the candidates for the upcoming elections.
"One thing is presenting oneself as a person who belongs to a religious faith, and another thing is to think and say: if more than eighty percent of the citizens of this country are Catholic, I can say that I too am a Catholic," said Mgr. Gallardo Martin.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Church will invite the faithful to go to the polls pointing out that voting is their right, but that will not be given directions to vote in favor of any political party. Mgr. Gallardo Martin remarked that citizens must be responsible and go to vote, because voting is a right but also an obligation. The Bishop was very clear in his message to the community, "Verify who to vote for, do not do it for a stranger, so you will not regret it later."
The administrative elections of 2013 will take place on July 7 in the states of Aguascalientes, Baja California, Coahuila, Durango, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Puebla, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala Veracruz and Zacatecas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce