AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "Do not use the church for political interests." This is what Mgr.Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, S.D.B. Bishop of Veracruz said, warning the candidates for the upcoming elections.
"One thing is presenting oneself as a person who belongs to a religious faith, and another thing is to think and say: if more than eighty percent of the citizens of this country are Catholic, I can say that I too am a Catholic," said Mgr. Gallardo Martin.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Church will invite the faithful to go to the polls pointing out that voting is their right, but that will not be given directions to vote in favor of any political party. Mgr. Gallardo Martin remarked that citizens must be responsible and go to vote, because voting is a right but also an obligation. The Bishop was very clear in his message to the community, "Verify who to vote for, do not do it for a stranger, so you will not regret it later."
The administrative elections of 2013 will take place on July 7 in the states of Aguascalientes, Baja California, Coahuila, Durango, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Puebla, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala Veracruz and Zacatecas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education