AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "Do not use the church for political interests." This is what Mgr.Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, S.D.B. Bishop of Veracruz said, warning the candidates for the upcoming elections.
"One thing is presenting oneself as a person who belongs to a religious faith, and another thing is to think and say: if more than eighty percent of the citizens of this country are Catholic, I can say that I too am a Catholic," said Mgr. Gallardo Martin.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Church will invite the faithful to go to the polls pointing out that voting is their right, but that will not be given directions to vote in favor of any political party. Mgr. Gallardo Martin remarked that citizens must be responsible and go to vote, because voting is a right but also an obligation. The Bishop was very clear in his message to the community, "Verify who to vote for, do not do it for a stranger, so you will not regret it later."
The administrative elections of 2013 will take place on July 7 in the states of Aguascalientes, Baja California, Coahuila, Durango, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Puebla, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala Veracruz and Zacatecas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination