AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "Do not use the church for political interests." This is what Mgr.Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, S.D.B. Bishop of Veracruz said, warning the candidates for the upcoming elections.
"One thing is presenting oneself as a person who belongs to a religious faith, and another thing is to think and say: if more than eighty percent of the citizens of this country are Catholic, I can say that I too am a Catholic," said Mgr. Gallardo Martin.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Church will invite the faithful to go to the polls pointing out that voting is their right, but that will not be given directions to vote in favor of any political party. Mgr. Gallardo Martin remarked that citizens must be responsible and go to vote, because voting is a right but also an obligation. The Bishop was very clear in his message to the community, "Verify who to vote for, do not do it for a stranger, so you will not regret it later."
The administrative elections of 2013 will take place on July 7 in the states of Aguascalientes, Baja California, Coahuila, Durango, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Puebla, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala Veracruz and Zacatecas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root