AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "All the Nigerian Church is identified and prays with you," said the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province in their solidarity visit to Maiduguri, capital of Borno State (Nigeria north-east), where the population suffers the violence of the Islamic sect Boko Haram.
At the end of the visit (April 30-May 2, also see Fides 30/04/2013), a message was released, sent to Fides Agency, which states that "we Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province wanted to show our love and solidarity with the suffering members of the body of Christ of Maiduguri Diocese and the people of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States."
The message points out, among other things, that "while government and security agents are to be commended for their role so far in providing security, we ask that they do more through careful work of building relationships with the people to provide local protection within the limits of the law in this part of Nigeria and across the Country."
In a place of Borno State, in the village of Baga, the Nigerian military are accused of killing several civilians and destroying over 2,000 homes during an operation against Boko Haram (see Fides 02/05/2013).
"We pray for the repose of the souls of those who died in this needless violence, speedy recovery for the wounded, while hoping that government will render assistance to those who have lost property and means of livelihood," the Bishops said.
The document finally pays tribute to "Bishop Oliver Dashe Doeme, Bishop of Maiduguri and his priests and religious who remained steadfast in the faith and committed to promoting peace and harmony, even in the face of unprovoked attacks." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops
- 2015-02-09 - "We hope that the postponement of the election was made with good intentions", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-02-05 - "If Maiduguri falls into the hands of Boko Haram, it would be a disaster for Africa as a continent"
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs