AMERICA/ECUADOR - The first Holy Colombian, big feast also in the Ande of Ecuador
Otavalo (Agenzia Fides) – Everything is ready in Agato and Otavalo (Ecuador) for the feast of canonization of "Mother Laura," a Colombian Catholic missionary. The Lauritas missionaries that work in two small towns in the Ande of Ecuador (Otavalo and Agato) have prepared a tribute to their founder.
Fides Agency received the invitation that will be distributed to the media: "The diocese of Ibarra invites the community to the Eucharistic celebration for the canonization of Mother Laura, which will be presided over by Msg. Valter Dario Maggi at the Cathedral of Ibarra on Sunday, May 12 at 12 p.m."
According to reports by Sister Elvira Brito, the Mass will be held this Sunday, coinciding with the celebration of the canonization in Rome.
Sister LAURA OF SAINT CATHERINE OF SIENA MONTOYA Y Upegui will be the first saint of Colombia. Benedict XVI approved her canonization, by authorizing the promulgation of the decree which recognizes a miracle through her intercession.
"Sister Laurita" (as she is called by many) is the virgin foundress of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary Immaculate and St. Catherine of Siena. Born in Jerico, Antioquia (Colombia), on 26 May 1874 and died in Belencito on October 21, 1949.
"Las Misioneras Lauritas" have been working in the city of Otavalo for over 50 years. The congregation arrived first in Cotacachi and then settled in Agato. Currently they work in different programs of catechesis and evangelization in Agato, Otavalo and Quichinche (Ecuador). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"
- 2014-10-21 - Indigenous people continue to be discriminated against, undernourished and not protected
- 2014-10-01 - Family Week in Guayaquil, wealth and renewal of society
- 2014-08-11 - 46,000 Ecuadoreans will benefit from a mega construction water
- 2014-06-10 - Projects in favor of Children: day care, healthy eating, education
- 2014-05-07 - New assignments in the Episcopal Conference, always striving for the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church
- 2013-12-12 - "Adopt a project": people can redeem thanks to education
- 2013-11-15 - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith