AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
Ecatepec (Agenzia Fides) - The toll of the accident in San Pedro Xalosctoc, Ecatepec, north of Mexico City is of 24 victims and 25 wounded, of whom 12 in serious condition, where a tanker full of natural gas exploded on the evening of May 8. The community of Ecatepec is deeply shocked because 10 of the victims were children. The authorities have opened an investigation.
The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Christopher Pierre, will celebrate today, 10 May, the funerals of the victims in the Parish of San Pedro de Xalostoc and will read Holy Father Francis’ message, who yesterday sent a telegram of condolence.
According to an initial police report, the tanker truck exploded after crashing against a guard rail on the highway. The explosion set fire to cars that were in the area. The fire broke out after the explosion reached an area of about 500 meters. Many of the people who died were sleeping in their flimsy houses adjacent to the highway. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/05/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace