AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
Ecatepec (Agenzia Fides) - The toll of the accident in San Pedro Xalosctoc, Ecatepec, north of Mexico City is of 24 victims and 25 wounded, of whom 12 in serious condition, where a tanker full of natural gas exploded on the evening of May 8. The community of Ecatepec is deeply shocked because 10 of the victims were children. The authorities have opened an investigation.
The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Christopher Pierre, will celebrate today, 10 May, the funerals of the victims in the Parish of San Pedro de Xalostoc and will read Holy Father Francis’ message, who yesterday sent a telegram of condolence.
According to an initial police report, the tanker truck exploded after crashing against a guard rail on the highway. The explosion set fire to cars that were in the area. The fire broke out after the explosion reached an area of about 500 meters. Many of the people who died were sleeping in their flimsy houses adjacent to the highway. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/05/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus