AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
Ecatepec (Agenzia Fides) - The toll of the accident in San Pedro Xalosctoc, Ecatepec, north of Mexico City is of 24 victims and 25 wounded, of whom 12 in serious condition, where a tanker full of natural gas exploded on the evening of May 8. The community of Ecatepec is deeply shocked because 10 of the victims were children. The authorities have opened an investigation.
The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Christopher Pierre, will celebrate today, 10 May, the funerals of the victims in the Parish of San Pedro de Xalostoc and will read Holy Father Francis’ message, who yesterday sent a telegram of condolence.
According to an initial police report, the tanker truck exploded after crashing against a guard rail on the highway. The explosion set fire to cars that were in the area. The fire broke out after the explosion reached an area of about 500 meters. Many of the people who died were sleeping in their flimsy houses adjacent to the highway. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/05/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce