AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Banda Calle 18 is willing to sign a peace pact, waiting for the government's response
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - They have been days, months, maybe years of silent work, constant dialogue, prayer and reflection, but without losing hope. Now that expectation and that work begin to bear fruit: one sees the light of unprecedented space for peace in the Country. Finally the Banda Calle 18 stated it was willing to sign a peace pact with the government.
The protagonists of the negotiation and the scenario has always been the same for years. The discussions take place in a narrow corner of the Marco Aurelio Soto National Penitentiary. The perseverance of Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula and that of the leaders of the Banda Calle 18 were also crucial that now highlight the desire of these young people to sign a peace pact with the government and indeed, ask for forgiveness to the people of Honduras.
The proposal was submitted and now we are waiting a response from the government. Because of the importance of this initiative, our agency publishes the full text sent by the Catholic weekly Honduran Fides with the requests made by the five leaders of the "Banda de la Calle 18" and the words of Mgr. Emiliani. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2013)
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Domestic violence, poverty, organized crime for the children of one of the most violent countries in the world
- 2013-08-22 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Tolupanes ethnic group survives in poverty
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "We have hit rock bottom but we have to try to raise the country together", says Mgr. Emiliani after the murder of the journalist
- 2013-07-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - More violence in the Country, national mourning for the murder of a well-known journalist
- 2013-07-03 AMERICA/HONDURAS - There is a growing gap between rich and poor
- 2013-06-18 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The government has not yet responded to the peace initiative of the gangs," said Mgr. Emiliani