AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - "We denounce this crime which clearly shows, once again, the difficult situation that our society lives, far away from the real experience of communion and fraternity, with widespread violence that causes an alarming number of victims in the country," said a statement sent to Fides by the Archdiocese of Barranquilla, concerning the murder of father José Antonio Bayona Valle (see Fides 07/05/2013).
"We vehemently repudiate this heinous act that took away the life of the priest Valle Bayonne, causing a deep pain within the Church and in the communities where he worked as a minister of the Lord," adds the text.
"The Archdiocese of Barranquilla renews its commitment to peace and announces with more force the convocation of the March for Life scheduled for Sunday, May 19, at 3 p.m. in Barranquilla and in all the towns in the area, pointing out that the main objective is to demonstrate the rejection of any form of violence that threatens human life."
The funeral of the priest will be celebrated today, May 8, at 9:00 am at María Reina Cathedral, presided over by the Archbishop of Barranquilla, Mgr. Jairo Jaramillo Monsalve and concelebrated by the presbytery archiepiscopal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger