AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - "We denounce this crime which clearly shows, once again, the difficult situation that our society lives, far away from the real experience of communion and fraternity, with widespread violence that causes an alarming number of victims in the country," said a statement sent to Fides by the Archdiocese of Barranquilla, concerning the murder of father José Antonio Bayona Valle (see Fides 07/05/2013).
"We vehemently repudiate this heinous act that took away the life of the priest Valle Bayonne, causing a deep pain within the Church and in the communities where he worked as a minister of the Lord," adds the text.
"The Archdiocese of Barranquilla renews its commitment to peace and announces with more force the convocation of the March for Life scheduled for Sunday, May 19, at 3 p.m. in Barranquilla and in all the towns in the area, pointing out that the main objective is to demonstrate the rejection of any form of violence that threatens human life."
The funeral of the priest will be celebrated today, May 8, at 9:00 am at María Reina Cathedral, presided over by the Archbishop of Barranquilla, Mgr. Jairo Jaramillo Monsalve and concelebrated by the presbytery archiepiscopal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2013)
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders