AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - "We denounce this crime which clearly shows, once again, the difficult situation that our society lives, far away from the real experience of communion and fraternity, with widespread violence that causes an alarming number of victims in the country," said a statement sent to Fides by the Archdiocese of Barranquilla, concerning the murder of father José Antonio Bayona Valle (see Fides 07/05/2013).
"We vehemently repudiate this heinous act that took away the life of the priest Valle Bayonne, causing a deep pain within the Church and in the communities where he worked as a minister of the Lord," adds the text.
"The Archdiocese of Barranquilla renews its commitment to peace and announces with more force the convocation of the March for Life scheduled for Sunday, May 19, at 3 p.m. in Barranquilla and in all the towns in the area, pointing out that the main objective is to demonstrate the rejection of any form of violence that threatens human life."
The funeral of the priest will be celebrated today, May 8, at 9:00 am at María Reina Cathedral, presided over by the Archbishop of Barranquilla, Mgr. Jairo Jaramillo Monsalve and concelebrated by the presbytery archiepiscopal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2013)
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours