AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
Salta (Agenzia Fides) - The Federal Administration of Public Revenue (AFIP) has discovered a traffic of child laborers in an agricultural property in Salta, at the foot of the Andes, where 97% of these were not recorded. Young workers were engaged for 10 hours a day in heavy logging activities, 52 were not registered and they all worked with poor equipment, no security measures to hands and eyes, nor any work insurance. For four months they have been living in inhuman conditions, isolated and without receiving the pay established. Living in the mountains, in rudimentary shacks made from plastic and waste of trees, they had no chance of returning to their homes. Some slept on beds made of rudimentary sticks and others directly on the floor, with no running water, no electricity and health care. The AFIP has denounced the owners of child exploitation, slavery and human trafficking. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"
- 2015-09-24 - Over 40% of the poor in the capital is under 14 years of age
- 2015-09-23 - Argentinean missionary animators of "mission houses" in Cuba, a testimony
- 2015-09-15 - One death due to malnutrition every 10 hours, 2 out of 10 children do not have adequate food
- 2015-09-14 - The Bishops: malnutrition and poverty in the country, a "terrible reality"
- 2015-09-10 - "Cura Gaucho" on the path towards canonization, the people of Villa Cura Brochero celebrate
- 2015-09-02 - National Biblical campaign on the 50th anniversary of the "Dei Verbum"
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces