AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
Salta (Agenzia Fides) - The Federal Administration of Public Revenue (AFIP) has discovered a traffic of child laborers in an agricultural property in Salta, at the foot of the Andes, where 97% of these were not recorded. Young workers were engaged for 10 hours a day in heavy logging activities, 52 were not registered and they all worked with poor equipment, no security measures to hands and eyes, nor any work insurance. For four months they have been living in inhuman conditions, isolated and without receiving the pay established. Living in the mountains, in rudimentary shacks made from plastic and waste of trees, they had no chance of returning to their homes. Some slept on beds made of rudimentary sticks and others directly on the floor, with no running water, no electricity and health care. The AFIP has denounced the owners of child exploitation, slavery and human trafficking. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo
- 2015-02-14 - Mgr. Buenanueva:"We need good quality citizens"
- 2015-02-12 - Mgr. Lozano denounces: deaths due to child malnutrition in the country
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"