AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "There are crazy people who want to impose chaos in the Country and do not respect the laws," denounced Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula (Honduras), commenting on the fact that Honduran streets are full of people who go around armed with impunity.
The Bishop regrets that hired assassins continue to be the most common work while every day there are people who die a violent death. "In my opinion, one should do a psychological test to all the people who buy weapons," added Mgr. Emiliani. According to a note sent to Fides, half a million rifles circulate in Honduras. There are people who go around the street with an AK-47 under their arm.
To protest against this situation on Sunday, May 5 a "March for Peace" was held in the capital which was attended by hundreds of people, belonging to different groups and institutions. The most representative group in the march were the students of the National Autonomous University of Honduras and the Catholic Church who demonstrated in favor of peaceful coexistence in the most violent Country in the world. In fact, the last public report on violence recorded 85 homicides for every 100,000 inhabitants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"