AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "There are crazy people who want to impose chaos in the Country and do not respect the laws," denounced Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula (Honduras), commenting on the fact that Honduran streets are full of people who go around armed with impunity.
The Bishop regrets that hired assassins continue to be the most common work while every day there are people who die a violent death. "In my opinion, one should do a psychological test to all the people who buy weapons," added Mgr. Emiliani. According to a note sent to Fides, half a million rifles circulate in Honduras. There are people who go around the street with an AK-47 under their arm.
To protest against this situation on Sunday, May 5 a "March for Peace" was held in the capital which was attended by hundreds of people, belonging to different groups and institutions. The most representative group in the march were the students of the National Autonomous University of Honduras and the Catholic Church who demonstrated in favor of peaceful coexistence in the most violent Country in the world. In fact, the last public report on violence recorded 85 homicides for every 100,000 inhabitants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election