AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "There are crazy people who want to impose chaos in the Country and do not respect the laws," denounced Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula (Honduras), commenting on the fact that Honduran streets are full of people who go around armed with impunity.
The Bishop regrets that hired assassins continue to be the most common work while every day there are people who die a violent death. "In my opinion, one should do a psychological test to all the people who buy weapons," added Mgr. Emiliani. According to a note sent to Fides, half a million rifles circulate in Honduras. There are people who go around the street with an AK-47 under their arm.
To protest against this situation on Sunday, May 5 a "March for Peace" was held in the capital which was attended by hundreds of people, belonging to different groups and institutions. The most representative group in the march were the students of the National Autonomous University of Honduras and the Catholic Church who demonstrated in favor of peaceful coexistence in the most violent Country in the world. In fact, the last public report on violence recorded 85 homicides for every 100,000 inhabitants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues